Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Giant children

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 1:54 pm
My niece is 5'7" and she's only 11!

Are kids bigger these days?

mommyla

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 2:12 pm
I was 5'8" at 11. 20 years ago. It's all in the genes...

Greenbelle

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 1:52 pm
Americans tend to be taller.
When my daughter was 11, she went to BY of Boro Park and the girls in her class were on the shorter side.
Then we moved the Baltimore and the children were taller. Their parents and grandparents were largely American whereas in BYBP the grandparents were largely European.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 1:56 pm
Lack of nutrients can stunt growth, so in some populations, I suppose it's possible that kids seem to be getting taller since they're reaching more of their height potential. (If you're coming from or moved to a place where food/resources have become more accessible than they were previously.)

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 3:15 pm
Wow. I don't know too many kids who are that tall, though DD does have one friend who is tall, and has really tall (and beautiful B"AH) sisters.

True that lack of nutrition can stunt growth, but that doesn't mean that proper nutrition means they will be really tall. I've been a very conscientious Jewish Mom, running after my kids trying to get them to eat, and my oldest is barely 5 ft tall and tiny at 19. Her sister, who has consistently been a pickier eater than she (except where it comes to nosh and candy) is a solid 4 inches taller at 16.

So after the nutrition, it's genes that rule.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 3:25 pm
it's been 3 years ~ how much has she grown ? quite often people who grow spurt earlier will balance out later ... although it also is dependent on what age puberty stops

rgr

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 3:30 pm
I grew early. In 5th grade I was probably around that tall. I was last in our grade graduation ceremony (we were lined up according to height)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 7:13 pm
Genetics, nutrition, and all the hormones they add to food now.

DD is 14, and she's only 4'11". I made sure she stayed far away from soy products, and other phytoestrogens. Organic meats, in moderation. Organic milk. Those are the biggies - meat, milk, soy. Feed those to your kids if you want them to grow fast.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 7:34 pm
My mother was 5' 11" at age 11. I was 5' 11" at age 14. My DS has been 5' 11" at bar mitzvah and now he is 16 and is 6' 4" and is still growing!!!!
It's the genes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics