Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Mouse proofing, beware

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 3:49 pm
It’s a nightmare.

We saw a mouse, set up some traps and could not get it. Husband figured we’ll get rid of the problem once and for all. So we’re mouse proofing.

I was told it will take one day, we’re two days in and no end in sight.

All appliances need to be moved. Some are to heavy, so they unload and reload everything in wrong place. Some pipes are to short, got to close the fuse. Some lines to dangerous, got to hire plumber to disconnect the gas.

Beware of the process. Hopefully the results will be good.

Going through it is the pits.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 3:53 pm
How do you mouse proof?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 3:58 pm
interesting... really all that needs to be done is figure out how it (they) got in... so it should be outside work. Not that its easy to figure out all the time..

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 4:02 pm
Mouse proofing involves closing all holes. It sounds like there are a lot of holes around the home that they need to get to. It took a day when we did it a few years ago.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 4:33 pm
Don’t know if it’s true or old wives tale, but it’s worth a try.
They say, don’t know who they are.
To have a picture of the keristeir Rebbe in your house.doesnt have to be visable.
This was told to me by the Rebbetzin of the grandson of the kerresteir rebbe.
I use to live around the corner from their shteibel in MB

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 4:55 pm
All we did was stuff the holes with steel wool where the pipes forthe heat is ( mice come indoors during the winter to keep warm) . Never had a mouse again. Never heard of doing such a big job. It sounds a bit over done.

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 6:36 pm
Play mice music. It is sounds that mice can't stand.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 6:47 pm
amother wrote:
To have a picture of the keristeir Rebbe in your house.doesnt have to be visable.

My son and DIL got that pic from the landlord and still had "mizalach". You need an exterminator or a cat.

octopus

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 6:58 pm
Mouse proofing involves closing up all holes. It can be involved depending on how many holes. Op, you probably need big(((((hugs)))))). This is traumatic.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 7:03 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
All we did was stuff the holes with steel wool where the pipes forthe heat is ( mice come indoors during the winter to keep warm) . Never had a mouse again. Never heard of doing such a big job. It sounds a bit over done.

Older houses and apartments can be like sieves. The rule is, if you can fit the tip of your index finger into a space, then a mouse can get through.

If you're allergic to cats, terriers make excellent mousers. They are great guard dogs, too. I had a little fox terrier who was a great mouser. He could put a dozen barn cats to shame! (They also live a really long time, and have very few health problems.)

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 7:31 pm
I don't know where you live, but there's a guy in Brooklyn who gives a 6-month guarantee on his mouse-proofing, so you know he's doing a darn good job.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know where you live, but there's a guy in Brooklyn who gives a 6-month guarantee on his mouse-proofing, so you know he's doing a darn good job.

6 months is not a lot at all. I've had a few different ones and they all gave me a year.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 8:35 pm
Thanks for the chizuk.

Yes we’re in a very old house. Didn’t they see that when assessing the situation? A few well placed traps would have been far simpler. Had no idea I was getting into such a huge mess.

As for the picture of Reb Shayala, I’ve got one hanging. Once went to a place of work and saw a huge photocopied picture of Reb Shayala tapes on the wall above the bosses desk, it spoke volumes.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 9:12 pm
amother wrote:
6 months is not a lot at all. I've had a few different ones and they all gave me a year.

It might be a year. I haven't used him, but when I was looking for someone everyone told me he is the best. (ended up getting rid of them on my own for now, b"h)

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the chizuk.

Yes we’re in a very old house. Didn’t they see that when assessing the situation? A few well placed traps would have been far simpler. Had no idea I was getting into such a huge mess.

As for the picture of Reb Shayala, I’ve got one hanging. Once went to a place of work and saw a huge photocopied picture of Reb Shayala tapes on the wall above the bosses desk, it spoke volumes.

I worked in a place that had pictures of Reb Shayala all over the warehouse and hallway walls as well as one in the office. My boss was convinced it worked.

unexpected

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 11:14 pm
Never had a mouse until my neighbor mouse proofed. Now I'm flooded Sad

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 11:22 pm
unexpected wrote:
Never had a mouse until my neighbor mouse proofed. Now I'm flooded Sad

Had the same.
So WE mouse proofed, it ran back to them.
My landlord (living under us) said "it can't be" and that was the end of the disscussion.

We ended up moving.

Op, I'm glad you are getting rid of the mice. I hope it won't take much longer, and then you'll be mice free!!! Major hugs!

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 7:16 am
amother wrote:

Is there a rabbi that gets rid of ants? Asking for a friend.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 7:59 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....;th=1

Since I got this I haven't seen a mouse.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics