Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Conflicted about financial aid

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 2:34 pm
We live OOT in a relatively high cost of living area (in some ways higher than NYC--we used to live there). My DD will be starting kindergarten this fall and we are looking at two local Jewish schools. The only problem is, we cannot afford either one unless we get financial aid, and I feel so conflicted about this (thank you recent threads about vacations, etc.).

We are a family of four and our combined income from last year was around 77K, we both work full time, opposite schedules so that we don't incur extra childcare costs. We have an older child in public school (child's choice, which we respect) and we've been paying around 600 for the local Jewish preschool (which for the area is a literal steal). We already live relatively frugally--we live in an area with no public transportation, but have one car, and only insure one driver, who schleps the other and the kids around; DH and I each own one pair of work shoes, which we wear into the ground before we replace; we generally only eat meat on Shabbos, and have pasta at least twice per week (kids preference partly--don't worry we add cheese for protein). I'm sure we could be more frugal, but I feel so guilty at the prospect of applying for financial aid. I've already enrolled DD in public kindergarten as a backup in case we can't afford a Jewish education, but almost feel like I shouldn't be looking into it unless I can't afford to pay full tuition.

Ok, this could have been in emotional health too. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Do I apply, see what is offered and then go forward? Spend a year in public school for kindergarten in the hope that we'll be in a better place in a year? In truth, even with financial aid, it will be tight I'm guessing....

Any insights in any direction would be greatly appreciated.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 2:44 pm
IMNSHO, financial aid is a wonderful, wonderful way to help families who cannot afford the high cost of Jewish education.

And no, also IMNSHO, you don't have to live like a pauper to apply. You're entitled to live a decent life, and not have people counting your pennies.

I don't like the idea of people playing games with tuition, like working under the table, or refusing to work because funds would go to tuition, or purposely purchasing a home that one cannot afford in order to get more aid (with the home, of course, serving as a savings vehicle), or any other gamesmanship.

But a hardworking couple doing their best, who need some help? Don't be silly. Apply for assistance. The worst they can do is say no.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 2:47 pm
You sound like you are very frugal and budget conscious. I would see what time of financial aid you can get and then decide. Don’t just send to public school without looking at all your options.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 2:48 pm
How much is full tuition? There’s a big difference between $5k and $27k.

If you’re in an area where cost of living is high and you make 77k per year, I wouldn’t feel bad at all about applying for financial aid. Our school uses an online system where you input all your info and it makes a reccomendation about how much aid you should get. The committee uses this info to make its determination.

lavenderchimes

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 2:52 pm
Apply. Don't feel bad. What Six of Wands said!

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
How much is full tuition? There’s a big difference between $5k and $27k.

If you’re in an area where cost of living is high and you make 77k per year, I wouldn’t feel bad at all about applying for financial aid. Our school uses an online system where you input all your info and it makes a reccomendation about how much aid you should get. The committee uses this info to make its determination.

Full tuition at one school is around 14K, the other around 16k. These are the only two schools in the area, and both are around a 30 minute commute (but on my way to work).

We've been making it work so far, but its honestly exhausting. DH works nights, does all the child care related stuff, so gets very little sleep during the days, and I work days, but do all the schlepping so have almost no down time...

Shoshana37

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 3:05 pm
No harm in applying for financial aid.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 3:34 pm
Definitely apply for aid. You’re not hiding income and you don’t need to feel guilty. About half of dc’s classmates got some form of aid. The kids (and their families) all added to the class. They were active in school activities and supported other students in and out of class. Now that my kids are grown, they are still part of their school community. That’s who their friends are. They’ll all be active in their communities as adults. Isn’t that the purpose of Jewish education— to maintain the continuity of the Jewish community? I call that community money well-spent on financial aid.
A few kids had to go to public school for a few years at the end. Their families made sure to keep up social and shul connections with the rest of us. It’s harder but dosbms if it’s what you need to do.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 4:36 pm
I would send to p.s.
The tuition is way too high for a 77k income.

Maryann

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 4:53 pm
Please don't have any doubts, apply and I hope they give you a very nice break. You are amazing for giving your child a Jewish education

asp40

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 5:11 am
I agree with the others. Apply for aid. However, now might be a good time to look towards the future. Do your professions have room for growth (ie, higher salary). Can either of you retrain? Life gets more expensive as kids get older. You might be just making it on 77k now, but soon it won't be enough
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics