Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yiddish Names in Israel (non chassidish)
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 2:45 am
I'm dati leumi, born in the US and have a Yiddish name. People sometimes comment that their grandmother has the same name, but that's it. (I have already told my kids that no one has to name after me, though. It's no kavod to inflict a name like mine on my descendants.)

salt

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 3:01 am
amother wrote:
Why is ok to pick any made up random name which a lot of Israelis do and a Yiddish name is not exceptable. A lot of Israelis or non chasidish people are named Yiddish names and call themselves by their hebrew version and chasidim do the same. For instance calling Tzvi Hershy or Dov Berry. But by these names the Hebrew version is always the one given by the bris.

It's not that some names are ok and some are not.
It's all a matter of fashion - what's 'in'. You can go for any name you want, it just might be so unusual in certain circles that it will sounds strange.
You can pick any random name, say "Nachal" and you will get weird looks in chasidish circles, and you can be called "Sprintze" in North Tel Aviv, you will be looked at.
But I wouldn't say it's not "ok".
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names