Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp Benos, Camp Tubby, Camp Benosainu, camp Chaviva

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 4:24 pm
what are these camps like in the way of
1) fun
2) tznius
3) peer presure
4) physical activities (sports, activities, movement)

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 5:25 pm
Aren't the mix of girls so different in these camps?

I went to Bnos in the 90's (and Bais Yaakov school during the year) and loved it. I'm not very sporty but there was a great mix of activities at the camp and I enjoyed it immensely. I was happy to watch the one activity a day that involved balls and other type sports. (There were plenty of other active movement type activities going on every day which I loved Iike swimming, ropes course, aerobics and other active activities that didn't involve teams and games which I'm not as comfortable with.)

The girls dressed tznius in nicer t shirts, long denim skirts, sneakers and socks.

As long as the girls kind to fit into the mold there wasn't much pressure from peers.

Overall great experience even though I'm not such a campy gal.

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 10:07 pm
I asked my neighbor, who goes to Tubby. This is the impression I got from her:

It is a pretty yeshivish camp. She told me that of the girls from Brooklyn, the girls attend mostly BY Boro Park, BY Bensonhurst, and one more school . (She said BY Kensington, but I don't think there is such a school....maybe she meant D'Rav Meir? not sure). Although most of the girls are from Brooklyn/Lakewood, there are also from other cities--- Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, etc... My neighbor and her family are so not into brand names, etc....so it doesn't seem like the kind of place where all the girls are wearing Juicy hoodies and fancy loafers.

She said it's a lot of fun. It did sound like there were a lot of sports and physical activities. Swimming, machanayim, basketball, etc... She said that the ruach at the camp is really what makes it fun. Meaning, the activities are nothing special, but there staff creates a very positive atmostphere: "Our attitude makes the fun" and it rubs off on the campers.

The activities sound more low-key......treasure hunts around the campus, machanayim games with other camps, etc.... They are not bussing the girls to amusement parks every day or anything. The trips are also more low key: roller skating, bowling, maybe a water park.

It really sounds like a fun, wholesome atmosphere. You'd have to see if the rules are rules that your daughter would be comfortable with.

Faigel

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:17 pm
Does anyone have a phone number for Camp Tubby?
Thanks!

joystock

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:27 pm
Tubby is a great camp. I went for many years and my daughter goes now and loves it. Definitely more on the yeshivish side. The above description sounds accurate.
212-473-4500

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:44 pm
My daughter goes to Baiseinu (formerly Machaneinu).
She loves it.
It's a mix of Yeshivish/Heimish/Chassidish.

Dress code is stricter than Tubby (no long denim skirts etc)

It's loads of fun, great activities, wonderful people running the camp.

Faigel

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:55 pm
Maybe someone can help me ...
I had heard Tubby might be a good match for my daughter. We live OOT in Israel (small community in the North) and my daughter goes to Bais Yaakov. My husband and I are both from OOT communities in the US. We applied to Bnos Maarava but the waiting list is very long. I was told that Camp Bais Yaakov and Camp Tubby might have more OOT girls and therefore might be a better fit. Any suggestions/comments appreciated! Contact info for suggestions other than these 2 would be appreciated, too.
Thanks!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 10:53 am
In my daughters unaffiliated chassidish school the girls go to baisainu and tubby. Baisainu is more "nebby" and "all the shticky girls" go to Tubby. My daughter is in 7th grade

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 11:16 am
amother wrote:
In my daughters unaffiliated chassidish school the girls go to baisainu and tubby. Baisainu is more "nebby" and "all the shticky girls" go to Tubby. My daughter is in 7th grade

My daughter goes to Baiseinu, and a bunch of great girls from her class and school go.
My girls go to an unaffiliated Chassidish school in monsey. Same thing with Tubby, a bunch of great girls go from her school.
Baiseinu is perhaps less into brands and more simple but judging on where the girls go, neither of the camps are nebby or shticky, as girls choose both.
I come from a Ritzy family. I am very proud sending my daughter to baiseinu, she absolutely loves it!!!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 11:28 am
I think Camp Bais Yaakov has more OOT girls than Camp Tubby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children