Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
CHICKEN AND RICE ONE POT DINNER?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 6:16 am
Hi guys
My kids come home every day begging for the rice in gravy with chicken..
Does anyone have the recipe to make chicken and rice in one pot? I dont own a crock pot..
TIA

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 6:51 am
I do pans. Disposable. So easy...I feed 2 adults and 5 kids. I put 1 1-2 cups rice in pan w the appropriate amount of water. (Drop less cuz chicken produces lots...) I dice veggies in but u dnt have to. Ill put red pepper squash purple or reg onion. Salt and spices to taste.give it little mix. Rub 6pcs chicken w spices u like. ( were onion garlic paprika ppl...nothing fancy) lay chicken on top of rice. Cover well. Bake 350 for 2 hours

cbg

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 7:47 am
I do the same as cyan, but I use frozen vegetables- Try to find something interesting like gumbo mix- it has peppers,corn and okra slices. My kids like it, but not everyone does, the vegetables.
Everyone loves the chicken and rice- just make sure it has enough time to cook.
I've even made it on Shabbat- left the oven at 200.
I went to a Simcha once and they made it with tomato paste mixed into the water smeared on the chicken as well. It had pieces of beef and chicken for Shabbat. I think it's an Iraqi dish. I also saw a cinnamon stick in it.
If someone has an exact recipe would love to try, if not I'll wing it.

Never made it in a crockpot.

rivkam

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 8:10 am
My friend used to make this alot for shabbat in the oven and it was so good. She found that the rice can be a bit tasteless as the chicken juice only gets to the chicken that's right underneath it. To give the rice flavor, she would mix the raw rice with spices, then add the water and chicken and put in the oven.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 9:26 am
cbg wrote:
I do the same as cyan, but I use frozen vegetables- Try to find something interesting like gumbo mix- it has peppers,corn and okra slices. My kids like it, but not everyone does, the vegetables.
Everyone loves the chicken and rice- just make sure it has enough time to cook.
I've even made it on Shabbat- left the oven at 200.
I went to a Simcha once and they made it with tomato paste mixed into the water smeared on the chicken as well. It had pieces of beef and chicken for Shabbat. I think it's an Iraqi dish. I also saw a cinnamon stick in it.
If someone has an exact recipe would love to try, if not I'll wing it.

Never made it in a crockpot.

It's called Tebeet.
I don't have an exact recipe but you can google it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:11 pm
Thanks e1!

Any ideas how to make gravy??

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:45 pm
Don't know about one pot, but I do one-pan in oven. Layer rice+water, vegetables of choice, and chicken. Put extra salt in the rice layer, season chicken and vegetables to taste. If you like sauces go ahead and dump some on. I don't have a specific recipe because you can make any type of chicken this way.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:51 pm
This is the best chicken and rice I have made so far. https://cookingwithtantrums.co.....rice/

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 1:12 pm
For "gravy", just add a bit more water to the rice. Sprinkle onion soup mix on top of the rice. Easy peasy.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 2:09 pm
The intensity of the chicken flavor depends on how much you clean it. The less you cut off, the more flavor, and more gravy-like liquid in the rice.
Yum, used to make this all the time. Thanks for reminding me!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 2:20 pm
I do it with bulgur. 1:2 bulgur:water. If you have some chicken soup ti sub for water, that's good too. Mix onion soup mix with the bulgur and boiling water so it fluffs up before you bake it. Arrange the chicken on top and sprinkle with paprika or other spices for color.
If you have a convection oven, bake at 360 for an hour. Uncovered.
If it's for shabbos, I put it in the oven an hour before candle lighting, turn off the oven before I light and cover the pan with foil. It's hot and yummy at the seuda.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 1:14 am
I sautee onions till golden add mushrooms for about 10 15 min add rice for a few more minutes then put into baking pan add water put the chicken on top with spices and duck sauce bake about 2 1/2 hours

rivkam

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 3:01 am
amother wrote:
I sautee onions till golden add mushrooms for about 10 15 min add rice for a few more minutes then put into baking pan add water put the chicken on top with spices and duck sauce bake about 2 1/2 hours

Sounds so yummy! I'm gonna try this

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 9:35 pm
You can try one pan/pot Spanish chicken and rice. I made it tonight in my wok and I got good reviews from my kids, other than the fact that the bottom burnt when I was busy doing other stuff Wink
I didn't taste it myself as I don't like tomato based chicken....but my kids hardly ever compliment my food without prompting, so I guess it was good...I got it from an online search.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen