Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BEHAV. MOD. SCHOOL STARTING/NY/BOYS. RESPOND NOW IF INTEREST
Previous  1  2

ROFL

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 12:03 am
Since you are by the five towns , advertise in the news paper out there. Also call all the principals in the area. They will know kids who need this specialized program

seer

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 1:03 pm
what type of staff will they need?

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 1:32 pm
Greenbelle wrote:
We are seeking 8 intelligent boys between the ages of 8-11 to start a one room school house behavior modification program in Far Rockaway/Brooklyn area. This is not an LD program, but rather for children who have social skills issues or behavioral/frustration tolerance issues.

My son is attending the DIAMOND SUMMER PROGRAM located within Darchei Torah in Far Rockaway. (An amazing and professional behavior modification camp) run by Yossi Feintuch LMSW and Yitzy Goldberg MS, both experienced professionals who get results and change children's lives.
We the parents are begging and pleading for this to continue as a school, starting NOW. Several years ago, they had classrooms, a Rebbi and students all slated to begin but at the last moment, many parents got cold feet and pulled out effectively closing the program even before it started.
I can attest to the fact that this program works. My son's issues are more social and less behavioral. He is highly intelligent and after speaking to another mother today, we are both on board and totally committed to this idea. We have two 9 year old boys. We need 8 more between the ages of 8-11.
Really this is what every school should be. Firm, tough love, responsibility and appreciation of who the child is and lots of positive recognition, boundaries and consequences. What a concept!!! parents will need to care a lot and be involved. A tiny starting up school needs everyone's help. (carpooling, trips, using your talents to help, etc) I hope this does not sound scary. Its just that if you're not really committed then what will stop you from pulling out at the last minute and destroying the possibility for everyone else.
Since time is of the essence, and we'd like to start in September please respond ASAP if you feel your son is a good candidate. Please PM me with your first name and cell number so we can be in touch. Of course I will give you mine as well.
I have not yet e mailed the other parents from the camp we might have other people on board. If you have friends with bright sons in this age group who need behavior modification/social skills please refer.
thank you so much! May we all have nachas from our children.
[/color]

did anything happen that a bunch of parents pulled out together?

ettilou

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 5:07 pm
Kol hakavod, I am sooo rooting for you. My son could have used this, but is now going to high school. I also sent to the Diamond program and felt it was the ABSOLUTELY best program for my son. I just want to let you know that I started a support group for mothers, many of which have sent, or are sending, to the diamond program now. It meets on Tuesday mornings, in lawrence at 10AM, during the school year. If we get enough of a response I would start a group at night for the mothers that can't make it during the day. If you are interested, PM me. I have to tell you the support that we give and get to each other makes all the difference between thinking you can't possibly deal with _____, to thinking, OK, I can do this with Hashems help and the support group.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 5:25 pm
ettilou wrote:
Kol hakavod, I am sooo rooting for you. My son could have used this, but is now going to high school. I also sent to the Diamond program and felt it was the ABSOLUTELY best program for my son. I just want to let you know that I started a support group for mothers, many of which have sent, or are sending, to the diamond program now. It meets on Tuesday mornings, in lawrence at 10AM, during the school year. If we get enough of a response I would start a group at night for the mothers that can't make it during the day. If you are interested, PM me. I have to tell you the support that we give and get to each other makes all the difference between thinking you can't possibly deal with _____, to thinking, OK, I can do this with Hashems help and the support group.

As a member of the support group, I must tell you how freeing it is to realize daily that you are really not alone- there are others there to support you and to lift you up when you are down.
I will pass the info on to my friends who may benefit, and I will put them in touch with you if they are interested. Hatzlacha Raba!! And again, please let me know when you have some idea about the cost. I can't exactly take this to my husband when I don't have any idea of a cost.....

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 3:25 am
I *know* this is an old thread!

Did the school get off the ground? If so what were your biggest challenges and successes?

(possibly looking to do the same thing)

pecan

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 9:53 pm
Bumping this up. Does anyone know if this school happened? Or if there's another school with a similar idea?

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:04 pm
ettilou wrote:

I see this is an old thread but curious what yeshiva high school you (or anyone else that posted here) found successful with bright but social/behavior issue boys. Thanks

livinginisrael

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 10:36 pm
I thought this was a recent thread when I first opened it.
My son is in ohr dovid in Brooklyn and I couldnt be happier. It is not for learning disabilities. It is for kids with behavioral challenges etc
It is an amazing school
He started off in a mainstream school but it didnt work out so we switched him in 1st grade.
You can pm me.
Kids come from all over

pecan

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:02 pm
That's for autism, I believe

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 12:33 am
amother wrote:
This sounds like a great place for my child but I'm still not passed worrying for my childs shidduchim ( I know its wrong of me)
Good luck

Please rethink your decision.

My son has surpassed some of his classmates in gemara, emotional stability and functional behavior. He spent most of his childhood in special needs schools.

I am as chasidish as they come.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 8:43 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:

My son has surpassed some of his classmates in gemara, emotional stability and functional behavior. He spent most of his childhood in special needs schools.

Her comment was from 2013

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 8:44 am
pecan wrote:
That's for autism, I believe

What school is this, and where is it located? I only know of one new school in the 5T since I got married, over 10 years ago.
Unless by “this” you are referring to ohr Dovid?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 8:46 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:

That’s amazing!!! Where did he go, that he had such great success?

pecan

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 11:20 am
I thought ohr Dovid is for autism. I'm specifically looking for a school for behavior challenges.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 11:26 am
pecan wrote:
I thought ohr Dovid is for autism. I'm specifically looking for a school for behavior challenges.

Ohr Dovid is NOT only for boys with autism. My son does not have an autism diagnosis. I looked into it originally because they deal with boys with behavioral difficulties. In terms of its structure, it’s very similar to the diamond program. They have a strict behavioral program, and everyone must stick to it. There are rewards and consequences.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics