Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Always hungry

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 12:53 pm
My 4 year old is always complaining he's hungry. He eats more than enough and is actually overweight (though not obese, although we're keeping an eye on things so that it doesn't happen). I don't have junk in the house, the food is wholesome and filling, but he still eats too much. For breakfast today he had 2 eggs, fruit, toast, and a glass of milk. An hour later he was complaining that he was hungry. Lunch was grilled cheese and tomato soup. He's complaining again an hour later. Snacks are usually fruit or cheese sticks. He is always asking for snacks. When I suspect he's not really hungry I usually give him a drink of water, most of the time he says he's still hungry. I feed him dinner about an hour and half before bed, and then in bed he says he's hungry. And he often takes second helpings at dinner. To top it all off, my other kids are skinny, one is even underweight and we need to be on top of him to make sure he eats enough. But this one we need to make sure he doesn't overeat. He just always wants to eat all day long.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 1:34 pm
What does his pediatrician say?

I am not trying to scare you, but it sounds like it could be Prader-Willi Syndrome. It usually shows up between ages 4 and 5.

Or it might be an insane growth spurt, and he'll get really tall and it will all level out.

Only your doctor can answer this question.

In the meantime, snacks should be apples or tangerines, not carbs. No exceptions.

yogabird

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 1:45 pm
There can be so many reasons a kid is not properly regulating their appetite. I would not jump to genetic syndrome if there are no other concerning symptoms (distinct facial features, developmental delays, etc). Yeast overgrowth, dopamine deficiency, leaky gut, autonomic dysregulation, insulin resistance can all contribute.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 2:14 pm
He doesn't have any developmental delays, he's actually quite precocious (both physically and cognitively). I'm insulin resistant and it runs in my family, I do think he may be genetically predisposed to be overweight even if he's eating right. I do struggle with weight myself, but I've always had a normal appetite (with a propensity toward sugar addiction, which is why I keep sugar out of the house). His doctor had suggested offering a drink and trying to distract him as a way of distinguishing if he's really truly hungry. But almost always he keeps insisting he's hungry.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 2:16 pm
PLEASE feed him alot of healthy food, there's an anorexia crisis and a shidduch crisis out there!

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:21 pm
The lunch you describe is not abnormal for a 4 year old - my underweight 4 year old can eat that for a meal. Taking seconds at supper isn't either, even if the 'firsts' were a lot. Kids this age also eat a lot of snacks. If your other kids are thin and have similar appetites, and this one is a big eater, it may look excessive to you, but it may not be excessive objectively.

If he is still hungry after a drink and a suggestion to play with him, give him something to eat. As long as it's healthy, a 4 year old should be allowed to eat whenever they are hungry and not easily distracted away from it.

Fruit as a snack isn't filling, so keep that in mind. Fruits and vegetables are excellent snacks health-wise, but it's not unusual to be hungry after a snack like that. Trying giving carbs high in fiber as a snack (the fiber gives a feeling of fullness for longer) - whole wheat crackers, unsweetened whole grain cereal, etc.

Also, some kids need to have 5-6 small-medium sized meals per day rather than 3 big ones plus a few snacks. Your son may need that - it's helped my dd to give her 4 meals a day and occasional snacks. She's not hungry in between because she doesn't have enough time to get un-full. We also make sure that the last meal is immediately before bed.

If you want better advice, I highly recommend a good child nutritionist - they can tell you whether his calorie intake matches his needs or is too much etc, as well as use the calories he is getting more wisely for both his weight and his appetite (how much protein, carbs, how many snacks, meals, etc.). We found this very helpful.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:

If you want better advice, I highly recommend a good child nutritionist - they can tell you whether his calorie intake matches his needs or is too much etc, as well as use the calories he is getting more wisely for both his weight and his appetite (how much protein, carbs, how many snacks, meals, etc.). We found this very helpful.

THIS part, especially. Always check with the pediatrician before worrying too much, and you can get a referral to a nutritionist from there.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:35 pm
Thanks. He actually has an endocrinologist appointment soon, so I'll ask then. My pediatrician is concerned and given my history, suggested he see an endocrinologist and get tested for insulin resistance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics