Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Need help eating more veggies

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:19 am
I need to eat more vegetables. The problem is that most of the vegetables I like require lots of checking, which I hate doing. I do not eat carrots, celery, tomatoes, peppers, beets. I like spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts but those are annoying to check. I like eggplant and zuchinni but no one else in my family does. I need to be low carb, so starchy vegetables must be limited. Any other ideas?

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:27 am
learn to eat more variety, take time to check or but prechecked or skip checking by washing well & make salads & make green shakes ... don't compromise your health because of family

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:22 am
Ask your LOR
Most say it's ok to use greens in a smoothie without checking, just wash well.
It's important to get a large amount of raw greens everyday.
If you are ok with eating low sugar fruit, green smoothies is a great way to get them
Lately my favorite has been kale, pineapple, ginger.
Secret to great tasting smoothies is that they need to be very cold.
I like using frozen fruit.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:57 am
You can eat food you like even if your family doesn't like it. Make yourself roasted eggplant and use it in salads. Sautéed zucchini is quick and delicious.

Spinach, broccoli and cauliflower can be frozen and blended without checking. You can make quiches, kugels, etc.

tichellady

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:34 pm
Many people who don't love zuchinni like it spiralized (Raw or roasted).

Do you like green beans, snap peas, snow peas, bok Choy, mushrooms?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:37 pm
I don't like smoothies either, so that won't work.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:46 pm
great ... then eat chocolate cake

tichellady

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 1:23 pm
What about hot puréed soups (cauliflower, brocolli)

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
I need to eat more vegetables. The problem is that most of the vegetables I like require lots of checking, which I hate doing. I do not eat carrots, celery, tomatoes, peppers, beets. I like spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts but those are annoying to check. I like eggplant and zuchinni but no one else in my family does. I need to be low carb, so starchy vegetables must be limited. Any other ideas?

I'm confused - are you asking for ideas on what other vegetables you that you might like, which are not starchy and do not require bug checking? If so - cucumbers.

jewwoman

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 2:47 pm
amother wrote:

Make a chicken stir fry for supper. Add green beans onions zuchini sliced really small. Then add whatever u want. Peppers are yum in stir fry. Also u can add a dash of soy sauce.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 3:00 pm
green beans are carb without so many nutrients ... whereas broccoli has twice as much protein, fiber & a ton of vitamin C ... sometimes washing vegetables has it's good side

also add ginger to a stir fry & garlic ... makes food savory & more FUN to eat

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 3:02 pm
Vegetable curries and pakoras.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 8:56 pm
I make a delicious meat loaf by blending on s blade onions, garlic, zucchini and carrots sometimes also sweet potatoes. I don't add bread crumbs or soaked bread. I then serve it with letcho (sauteed onions, peppers, squash, tomatoes and eggplant.) Over brown rice. Do u think u would go for something like this? Also blended soup is a great idea as someone mentioned. Or mock pototo kugel were u substitute yucca.
I personally enjoy salads ,(and I eat 2 or 3 a day) and blended cauliflower substituting mashed potatoes.

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:44 pm
Have you ever tried a CSA? You sign up with a farm, and they send you a big box of varied vegetables every few weeks (I forget if its every week or every 2 weeks?). You don't know what you're getting until you get it, because it depends on what is ready to be picked that week at the farm. Great way to be introduced to new vegetables and get creative in the kitchen.

Other ideas:
1. Use frozen varieties of your favorite vegetables with a hechsher.
2. Stroll through local farmers markets and big fruit/vegetable stores looking for inspiration.
3. Find recipes that hide the vegetables, such as meat loaf, kugels, meat or chicken pot pies, etc.

cbg

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:44 pm
greenfire wrote:
great ... then eat chocolate cake

There are cakes that encorporate veggies.
Carrot cake, zucchini brownies, beets in cake.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 12:00 am
cbg wrote:
There are cakes that encorporate veggies.
Carrot cake, zucchini brownies, beets in cake.

yup but op wanted the carbs unincorporated Wink with the veggies she refuses to eat

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 12:09 am
greenfire wrote:
yup but op wanted the carbs unincorporated Wink with the veggies she refuses to eat

Maybe in IV form?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 12:16 am
Sorry. That was not nice of me. I guess I just finished eating too many veggies. I sometimes feel like a cow after. Especially after eating sprouts. I wrote in previous post that I enjoy salads, but ya, they do get to me sometimes....
Good luck to finding veggies u like!
Perhaps stroll through big supermarket in your area like pomegranate and see what you would enjoy. There are so many delicious veggies available prechecked. Hopefully they will appeal to you and you'll find something you enjoy.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:07 pm
Yes, I relate to OP.
Some things which work for me:

- Beets gefen vacuum packed with hummus or tehina

- cuc, tomomato, onion with the certified/no need to check parsley, & add things like olive oil, balsamic vinegar, heart of palm

- Frozen certified veg, ie Broc, cauli , peas. I eat the most veg in my family,& don't have the patience to make nice veg dishes that only I'll eat,so I bake in oven, covered,then poke holes in foil to release moisture it goes from steaming to a bit more roasting.

- Certified asparagus or okra, baked covered & then with marinara added

- Carrots, zuch, or, Brussels sprouts (together or separately) can be nice baked covered,& then uncovered halfway to carmelize for flavor
- Whole mushrooms bake well, just season, little oil, lay on sheet & throw in oven
- looking up "food bowls" recipes kind of expands the ideas, can really throw things together to add variety

Good luck! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking