Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Sold my house
1  2  3  Next

wonderwoman101

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:48 am
we sold our first home just a couple of months ago. as much as I was hoping to get a good amount of money for my house I was also hoping that I would sell to a jew who would be able to enjoy and appreciate our renovated and kosher kitchen. I was very happy when we accepted the offer coming from a jewish religious family.
the day of closing, at the table the buyer mentioned to us that he wasn't actually going to live there bec it was too small for him and his 5 children. which I understood, bec it is a small house, but I was really hoping they would be able to enjoy it.
anyway, last night we passed by our old house and saw our next door neighbor. he was hesitant to even come talk to us, but he did. he looked angry. he started his conversation with "oh, I didn't know you sold your house to -..." and we were like who? who is living there? he came closer and said BLACKS! with an angry voice. he looked like he wanted to cry. he said there were about 3 or 4 families living there and that they are very noisy especially at night and that he is dreading the summer. he is even considering moving himself.
as much as it hurts that my previous home is being degraded this way, it is mostly embarrassing because for 9 years we were the only jews on the block and now when we sold our house we told all our neighbors that we sold to jews and here it looks like we are coming out as liars. the whole side of my block is talking about how we screwed them over and to me that's a chilul hashem especially bec we told the new buyers that we had a very good relationship with all our neighbors.
I know time will take its course bec I couldn't help but think about this all night. its really bothering me and I'm embarrassed to ever show my face on that block again. (I do still come tot he neighborhood quite often bec both my parents and in laws live nearby)

Last edited by wonderwoman101 on Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:51 am
You can explain to the neighbors that you did indeed sell it to Jews & you had no idea that they'll rent it out. Tel them if they have a problem they should talk to the new owner.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:52 am
wonderwoman101 wrote:
... my previous home is being degraded bec most of the neighborhood is Italian, irish, and jewish ...

ssspectacular

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:53 am
Wow! That is some story! A lesson to all of us!

elisheva25

I totally hear why you are upset
And I do understand why it might feel like a chillul hashem
Hope this thread doesn’t turn into a whole racial discussion
I hear your concerns
I also think the buyer should of told you of his plans
But he didn’t
What can you do
That’s how people are

imasoftov

ssspectacular wrote:

What lesson do you learn from it?

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:56 am
wonderwoman101 wrote:
we sold our first home just a couple of months ago. as much as I was hoping to get a good amount of money for my house I was also hoping that I would sell to a jew who would be able to enjoy and appreciate our renovated and kosher kitchen. I was very happy when we accepted the offer coming from a jewish religious family.
the day of closing, at the table the buyer mentioned to us that he wasn't actually going to live there bec it was too small for him and his 5 children. which I understood, bec it is a small house, but I was really hoping they would be able to enjoy it.
anyway, last night we passed by our old house and saw our next door neighbor. he was hesitant to even come talk to us, but he did. he looked angry. he started his conversation with "oh, I didn't know you sold your house to -..." and we were like who? who is living there? he came closer and said BLACKS! with an angry voice. he looked like he wanted to cry. he said there were about 3 or 4 families living there and that they are very noisy especially at night and that he is dreading the summer. he is even considering moving himself.
as much as it hurts that my previous home is being degraded bec most of the neighborhood is Italian, irish, and jewish, it is mostly embarrassing because for 9 years we were the only jews on the block and now when we sold our house we told all our neighbors that we sold to jews and here it looks like we are coming out as liars. the whole side of my block is talking about how we screwed them over and to me that's a chilul hashem especially bec we told the new buyers that we had a very good relationship with all our neighbors.
I know time will take its course bec I couldn't help but think about this all night. its really bothering me and I'm embarrassed to ever show my face on that block again. (I do still come tot he neighborhood quite often bec both my parents and in laws live nearby)

When I bought a house, I had to sign a few papers declaring that I would be the occupant and not renting it out. If they were planning on renting, it should have been made known to the lender at the very least. While you cant control who buys the house or what the new owners do to it, and you could have been sued for not selling to a non jew, neighbors can report the owners for renting illegally (I’m assuming here. I could be all above board) and having too many occupants. I would recommend the same action if they were renting illegally to 3 familes of frum jews by the way.

Last edited by watergirl on Mon, Feb 12 2018, 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:56 am
elisheva25 wrote:
Hope this thread doesn’t turn into a whole racial discussion

Let's ignore the honorary white elephant in the room.

leah233

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:58 am
Tell your old neighbors the specific frum person you sold it to.

Is your old house in a neighborhood where it is legal to have a few families living in a single family house? If not research and advise your old neighbors how to deal with such an illegal rental.

Ask a shaalo before doing the above

At the very least your old neighbors can take the owner to a Din Torah for renting out to people who are causing noise and disturbance.

Last edited by leah233 on Mon, Feb 12 2018, 10:08 am; edited 3 times in total

ssspectacular

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:59 am
[quote="imasoftov"]What lesson do you learn from it?[/quote
1- Judge favorably- it wasn't the owner's fault!
2-When selling, make sure the buyer will live there, not someone else.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 10:01 am
ssspectacular wrote:
imasoftov wrote:

2-When selling, make sure the buyer will live there, not someone else.

How does one do that?

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 10:02 am
ssspectacular wrote:

And what lesson is that?

leah233

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 10:04 am
imasoftov wrote:
Let's ignore the honorary white elephant in the room.

Right. Let's all pretend that had she sold to a middle class white family there would be still three or more families living there and they would still be making a lot of noise especially at night.

wonderwoman101

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 10:09 am
[quote="watergirl"]When I bought a house, I had to sign a few papers declaring that I wod be the occupant and not renting it out. If they were planning on renting, it should have been made known to the lender at the very least. While you cant control who buys the house or what the new owners do to it, and you could have been sued for not selling to a non jew, neighbors can report the owners for renting illegally (I’m assuming here. I could be all above board) and having too many occupants. I would recommend the same action if they were renting illegally to 3 familes of frum jews by the way.[/quote]

we were not looking to specifically sell to jewish people, it was a secret hope I was having. the house was being shown to anyone interested but none of the offers were close enough to asking price. and our neighbors all saw that the house was being shown to all different cultures

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 10:09 am
leah233 wrote:
Right let us pretend that had she sold to a middle class white family there would be still three or more families living there and they would still be making a lot of noise especially at night.

All we know about who she sold it to was that they are "a jewish religious family". I haven't made any assumptions their race or social class.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 10:15 am
watergirl wrote:
When I bought a house, I had to sign a few papers declaring that I wod be the occupant and not renting it out. If they were planning on renting, it should have been made known to the lender at the very least. While you cant control who buys the house or what the new owners do to it, and you could have been sued for not selling to a non jew, neighbors can report the owners for renting illegally (I’m assuming here. I could be all above board) and having too many occupants. I would recommend the same action if they were renting illegally to 3 familes of frum jews by the way.

There are rules regarding multiple families, especially if they are not very closely related to each other, living in a single family dwelling. Zoning rules may apply here as well as fire safety regulations (for example, basement bedrooms with no egress). Find out — or suggest that the neighbors find out — what the rules are in your city. From your description this setup could be illegal.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 10:21 am
leah233 wrote:
Tell your old neighbors the specific frum person you sold it to.

Is your old house in a neighborhood where it is legal to have a few families living in a single family house? If not research and advise your old neighbors how to deal with such an illegal rental.

Ask a shaalo before doing the above

At the very least your old neighbors can take the owner to a Din Torah for renting out to people who are causing noise and disturbance.

As the owner of the house is frum, if this is an illegal rental, going through a rabbi or Beis Din is recommended. Good advice.

simcha2

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 11:34 am
Honestly, it's not your concern or business.

I know it's hard because you have an emotional attachment to the home and neighborhood that you invested time, energy and thought into.

But, the house is sold. It's not yours and nothing to do with you. If the neighbors have an issue with the renters let them take it up with the current owners or the township.

You can tell the neighbors who you sold to, but if they care that much it is public record and they can look it up.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 11:44 am
imasoftov wrote:

That there are many racist Jews?

Not sure how we can claim to love Hashem when we express disdain for people whom he created in his image, or complain of antisemitism when we so openly dislike others. Can you imagine the uproar if a gentile complained of someone selling to a "Jew," with oh so many children who don't even associate with the neighbor kids, build a hut in their backyard every year or so, and have large numbers of people -- with even more kids -- move in for weeks at a time.

As to OP, you sold the house. What was done with it thereafter is none of your business. If your former neighbors have noise or occupancy complaints, they should address them to the landlord or to the proper authorities.

leah233

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 11:54 am
SixOfWands wrote:
That there are many racist Jews?

Not sure how we can claim to love Hashem when we express disdain for people whom he created in his image, or complain of antisemitism when we so openly dislike others. Can you imagine the uproar if a gentile complained of someone selling to a "Jew," with oh so many children who don't even associate with the neighbor kids, build a hut in their backyard every year or so, and have large numbers of people -- with even more kids -- move in for weeks at a time.

I don't know why anyone would have an issue with a neighbor building a sukka one week a year but I understand the view point of those who complain about frum people moving in because they believe they will be adversely impacted by an influx.

Not always is there a basis for such a concern but when there is I certainly understand it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics