Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Blue & Orange Theme for Bar Mitzvah

odchai

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 10:40 am
We are making our 4th Bar Mitzvah the week of Purim, B"H. My son picked blue and orange as the colors he wants for the seuda/reception on the bo bayom (Tuesday night, erev Taanis Esther)
Looking for ideas of what to do as centerpieces for the tables, will be buffet style. Not looking to spend tons of money. GO!
Found really nice orange and blue patterned napkins and napkins with blue fishies on them (for Adar) orange plates and blue drinking cups. Was thinking of using orange floating candles with orange plastic rocks on bottom of glass vases. What else? Blue and orange balloons??

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 11:10 am
How about using real fish - theyre actually real cheap and woukd look great!! goldfish bowls as centrepiece with a goldfish and blue stones at the bottom.

Boca00

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 11:17 am
Great color scheme. I think it would look really classy to have mostly navy with orange accents.

odchai

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 11:48 am
Ooh I like the goldfish idea so much!! I will look into that!

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 11:53 am
Goldfish sounds nice but then someone actually has to be willing to care for them after the simcha is over. They are also G-d's creatures. It bothers me when people give out goldfish at events to people who are unable to look after them (they require more care than one might think) and they live short, sad lives.

odchai

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 11:54 am
also a food related question: I am making the food with a lot of help from some very good friends. I am planning on serving meatballs, wings and chicken nuggets with roasted potatoes and rice on the side (along with a few different kinds of salads) but the hot food will have to be made 2 days in advance, will the nuggets be dried out by then? Should I go with something else?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 11:55 am
You can do navy tablecloth with orange and white chevron zig zag runners. That with a huge bowl with the gold fish and blue stones.
Gorgeous.

I saw in Pinterest a long cylinder vase and on top a fish bowl. Search gold fish centerpieces.

I also saw a very large martini glass used as the centerpiece. The glass had blue glitter on the edge to look like a sugar rim and inside the water with the gold fish

The menu sounds really good. I’m keeping it to remember for a Simcha. If you think the nuggets will dry out you can serve in a sauce.
Pour the sauce on top when you are ready to heat and serve.

iyar

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 12:24 pm
odchai wrote:
also a food related question: I am making the food with a lot of help from some very good friends. I am planning on serving meatballs, wings and chicken nuggets with roasted potatoes and rice on the side (along with a few different kinds of salads) but the hot food will have to be made 2 days in advance, will the nuggets be dried out by then? Should I go with something else?

Definitely make the food in advance as you're planning.
No cooking day of! You want to look like (and smell like) a nice relaxed hostess.
Like the idea of sauce on the nuggets. Boys usually like those hot, spicy and sweet sauces, I'm sure you'll find an easy recipe containing hot sauce and lots of brown sugar or honey. Sprinkle some black and white sesame seeds on top if you want to be fancy.
No question nuggets are best fresh from the frying pan, but you'll be at your best as far from a frying pan as possible.

ChutzPAh

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 4:43 pm
If you are in New York people will think you are doing a Mets theme. Not sure if that matters to you.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:03 pm
odchai wrote:

I would do like a sweet sesame sauce on it to keep it moist.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:15 pm
Go Gators! (University of Florida colors.)

odchai

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 6:54 am
ChutzPAh wrote:
If you are in New York people will think you are doing a Mets theme. Not sure if that matters to you.

actually he wanted these colors because they are also the colors of the Denver Broncos including white, which he loves after spending time there last summer. Anyway we are not in NY so no one will mention it unless they know about these things in which case he will be very happy to tell them!

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:06 am
odchai wrote:
actually he wanted these colors because they are also the colors of the Denver Broncos including white, which he loves after spending time there last summer. Anyway we are not in NY so no one will mention it unless they know about these things in which case he will be very happy to tell them!

I thought he it was the Knicks. My bad.

So why not incorporate football into the centerpieces?

Something like this (I'm sure you could find it cheaper)

https://www.amazon.com/Accents.....W0JIQ

with white, blue and orange balloons.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:19 am
If you want to do flowers, carnations can be very easily dyed orange and blue. Just cut a tiny bit off of the end of the stems, and then place them in vases with food coloring. In a day or two, they will be really bright. Carnations smell really lovely, and if you buy in bulk they are very cheap.

I suggest "bear grass" as the leaf filler. It is also cheap, and looks very dramatic. It gives a great line and form to the arrangement.

When you arrange the flowers, pack them next to each other, not with long stems. Your want them to look more like a wedding bouquet. Sometimes when you buy them with shorter stems, you can get a good deal on them. Stick the bear grass in at various places between the flowers so that it shows about 8 to 10 inches above the highest flower. Bear grass looks best in little sprouts of 3 or 4 stems per bunch.

I wish I could draw a pic of what I'm thinking of.

I spent a few years working in a florist shop, and we did this all the time for simcha themes. Green for S. Pat's day were our biggest sellers, though. Wink

smilealot

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 2:06 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you want to do flowers, carnations can be very easily dyed orange and blue. Just cut a tiny bit off of the end of the stems, and then place them in vases with food coloring. In a day or two, they will be really bright. Carnations smell really lovely, and if you buy in bulk they are very cheap.

I suggest "bear grass" as the leaf filler. It is also cheap, and looks very dramatic. It gives a great line and form to the arrangement.

When you arrange the flowers, pack them next to each other, not with long stems. Your want them to look more like a wedding bouquet. Sometimes when you buy them with shorter stems, you can get a good deal on them. Stick the bear grass in at various places between the flowers so that it shows about 8 to 10 inches above the highest flower. Bear grass looks best in little sprouts of 3 or 4 stems per bunch.

I wish I could draw a pic of what I'm thinking of.

I spent a few years working in a florist shop, and we did this all the time for simcha themes. Green for S. Pat's day were our biggest sellers, though. Wink

wow. I never knew that about carnations. I'll have to give it a try.
sounds really cool.
I was gonna say to put blue colouring into the water with the fish but dunno if that'll harm them.
Pumpkin soup or butternut squash soup is orange.
You can carve some pumpkin or orange melon for the middle if you want to get creative.
Empty a pumpkin and then put a pot of soup inside it so people can serve themselves if you are doing buffet style.
Cut oranges in half, empty them and then fill with orange or blue jello.
Either way the colours definitely sound original.
Mazal tov for the Bar Mitzvah.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 3:10 pm
smilealot wrote:
wow. I never knew that about carnations. I'll have to give it a try.
sounds really cool..

You can do the same thing with celery. Kids love this experiment! Explain to them the capillary action of how plants draw nutrients up into their leaves. (Steve Spangler Science has a good explanation of how it works.)

Please don't dye the goldfish. shock

Blueberry and orange salad would be elegant. Fresh blueberries are expensive though, and I'm not sure if they'll be in season for your simcha. You could use frozen blueberries and make a sorbet, garnished with tangerine slices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics