Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Iso Chol hamoed in Israel trip ideas

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 1:36 pm
We are planning a trip to Israel iy"h for Pesach with two teenage boys, both of whom were very young their last time in Israel, we have first three days of chol hamoed to tour, one of which I would like to tour the Old City, any suggestions/tips for best places to go in the Old City (obviously besides the kotel (: ) and on the other two days? We are planning on renting a car, & we were thinking, aside from Yerushalayim, maybe a two day overnight trip to somewhere futher away (we will be near Yerushalayim), I would really appreciate any ideas, I don't know that we'll be getting to go back anytime soon! TIA!

chicco

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 1:59 pm
For the old city I highly recommend:
Machon Hamikdash
A look into the past tour at the kotel
Ir David night spectacular

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 4:26 am
chicco wrote:
For the old city I highly recommend:
Machon Hamikdash
A look into the past tour at the kotel
Ir David night spectacular

I looked up the Ir David night spectacular and it looks great, but do you know if it's in English? I didn't see any information about the language

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:56 am
OP, have you already booked your rent-a-car? If not, do it NOW. Pesach is peak season.

chicco

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:11 am
There is no speaking narrative to my knowledge. It's a story told in images and music.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 7:09 am
Gush Etzion is close. Why not Kever Rachel, jeeping, the sound and light show at Kfar Etzion, Zipline, continue south to Chevron and back up to Yerushalayim?

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 7:20 am
Ir David light show is amazing. They would probably also enjoy a Segway tour of the Old City or some other part of Yerushalayim. You could go south, to Yam HaMelach, Ein Gedi, and Masada. Or you could go north to Tzfas and the Golan, which has tons of really cool stuff to do, and you could swing by Rosh HaNikra with its grottoes.

Teomima

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 7:30 am
I agree with the above, The Night Spectacular is really cool and if I recall correctly, whatever little spoken language in it actually is in English.

As for nearby activities, if you do have a car, I recommend heading towards the Dead Sea. Qumran is really interesting (especially cool if you also stop at the Israel Museum while in Jerusalem to see the scrolls and various household objects also found at Qumran) and, if you like family-friendly hikes, Nahal David is always fun. Obviously you could keep going a bit further and go to Masada, too. It's a good time of year for these activities, not yet too hot.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 7:45 am
The Dead Sea and Ein Gedi are PERFECT that time of year. There are hiking tours and guided donkey ride tours through the mountains, too. Lots of stuff to do.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 8:40 am
doctorima wrote:
Ir David light show is amazing. They would probably also enjoy a Segway tour of the Old City or some other part of Yerushalayim. You could go south, to Yam HaMelach, Ein Gedi, and Masada. Or you could go north to Tzfas and the Golan, which has tons of really cool stuff to do, and you could swing by Rosh HaNikra with its grottoes.

Thanks for the ideas! I've heard Rosh Hanikra is incredible & we're planning to go-what "cool" things are there inTzfas & Golan? Also do you know the minimum age for segwaying?

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 9:18 am
Golan - Nimrod's Fortress/Castle, Har Bental, Chocolate factory tour, wine factory tours, olive oil factory tour in Katzrin, Gan Guru near Tiveria, hiking in the Banias, Tel Dan obviously Meron, Tzfas candle factory plus the usual stuff (shuls, cemetery with optional dip in Arizal mikvah, artists' quarter and shopping), there's also rapelling somewhere in the Tiverias area that boys would like. For Segway I would check the web page of Old City tours and see if they have an FAQ with age limits.

grace413

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 9:20 am
Just a traffic tip: all of Am Yisrael goes out to travel on chol hamoed. If you are going down to the Ein Gedi/Dead Sea area or up the Jordan Valley road to Tiberias/Tsfat/Golan there will be heavy traffic.

I suggest leaving very early in the morning, like 7 AM.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 11:33 am
Recommeded: Machpela cave in Hebron. Only on chol hamoed and a very few days do they open up the entire cave (that is including Izchak's hall, which is usually closed) This is only for 2 days during chol hamoed so its' exclusive. One of the days there is music outside and concerts.
Don't worry about security, full of soldiers on duty and I never felt scared to go there during chol hamoed (went with bullet proof egged bus back and forth from Jerusalem)

https://hebronfund.org

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 12:48 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
OP, have you already booked your rent-a-car? If not, do it NOW. Pesach is peak season.

Ditto for any overnight accommodations.

heidi

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 1:19 pm
16 is the minimum age for Segway.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:54 pm
doctorima wrote:
Golan - Nimrod's Fortress/Castle, Har Bental, Chocolate factory tour, wine factory tours, olive oil factory tour in Katzrin, Gan Guru near Tiveria, hiking in the Banias, Tel Dan obviously Meron, Tzfas candle factory plus the usual stuff (shuls, cemetery with optional dip in Arizal mikvah, artists' quarter and shopping), there's also rapelling somewhere in the Tiverias area that boys would like. For Segway I would check the web page of Old City tours and see if they have an FAQ with age limits.

Thanks for so many ideas!!

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:00 pm
heidi wrote:
16 is the minimum age for Segway.

Thank you, it's too bad, but I'm not surprised, we've only been to one place where they allowed younger kids (florida) and of course my younger son ended up getting sick & not going!

Roots

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:40 am
just remember that during chol hamoed EVERYTING is packed. idk how much longer before pesach you are coming to israel- but if u want to go up north or to tourist attractions, try to stick some in before pesach- so many amazing tourist attractions are blissfully empty.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:11 am
Roots wrote:
just remember that during chol hamoed EVERYTING is packed. idk how much longer before pesach you are coming to israel- but if u want to go up north or to tourist attractions, try to stick some in before pesach- so many amazing tourist attractions are blissfully empty.

What we do is choose one attraction (popular hike) and leave the house at four-five am for it. We get there as the site opens up and is still cool out. by the time we get back to the car we are used to having the site closed by Park Rangers due to overcrowding.

But that is not for everyone.

mom2u

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 3:29 pm
Tzuk minarah is nice and fun too. That's north.
I would stay local pesach and do attractions before or after pesach unless you have reservations. My sister lives in israel usually takes her kids before pesach (I don't know how she does it) because on chol hamoed everything is packed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics