Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
West Heampstead, Long Island (black hat community)

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:31 am
Does anyone know anything about the black hat community to West Heampstead. How would it compare to Far Rockaway. What is the current housing situation in West Heamstead. How much are the houses and what size? I am coming from oot. If the block has both MO and right wing is still a nice block with everyone living together and borrowing eggs from each other.

doctorima

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:18 am
I'm no expert in West Hempstead, but I don't think you'll find anywhere near the numbers or "right-wingness" of black hats there that you will find in FR, so if you're looking to save money while replicating the FR feel, I believe you'll be disappointed.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:30 am
doctorima wrote:
I'm no expert in West Hempstead, but I don't think you'll find anywhere near the numbers or "right-wingness" of black hats there that you will find in FR, so if you're looking to save money while replicating the FR feel, I believe you'll be disappointed.

Thanks for the reply. I know there is no where near the numbers of FR. According to the shuls website there is around 40 members. I am curious what crowd the RW of West Heampstead is? black hat shabbos only? professional? klai kodesh? white shirt? colored shirts? a mix of everything?

artz

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:56 am
I have relatives there they recently opened a shul that is more like the agudah. there are definately more black hatters moving in. If you want to pm I can give you the number to my relatives and they can tell you more

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 9:43 am
Hi, I live in West Hempstead.
I think houses are around the low 500s for the cheaper houses that are near the shul (Bais Torah U'Tefilah, or BTU for short). They tend to be 3 bedrooms with basements and attics (many people have finished attics with a 4th bedroom).
I would say some of the crowd here is absolutely 100% black-hat-on-Shabbos-only. Not every man wears one. Some people are in chinuch.
What I like about the community is it is a nice mix of people.
If you want to spend a Shabbos here to check out the neighborhood the Rabbi of BTU arranges that.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 10:10 am
amother wrote:
Hi, I live in West Hempstead.
I think houses are around the low 500s for the cheaper houses that are near the shul (Bais Torah U'Tefilah, or BTU for short). They tend to be 3 bedrooms with basements and attics (many people have finished attics with a 4th bedroom).
I would say some of the crowd here is absolutely 100% black-hat-on-Shabbos-only. Not every man wears one. Some people are in chinuch.
What I like about the community is it is a nice mix of people.
If you want to spend a Shabbos here to check out the neighborhood the Rabbi of BTU arranges that.

Thanks for your reply. The housing prices seem quite tempting but im not sure the crowd is for us. I hate to label and I want a place where different crowds all live together. I just need to be part of one of the crowds Smile Dh is in chinuch. He wears a black hat to daveing every day. We don't have a tv or secular music and movies in the house. My oldest is five and a big fan of Uncle Moishy! I am getting the feeling that we may just be a little to right wing...

doctorima

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 11:36 am
As I wrote before, I don't think you'll be happy with the crowd in WH. It's a warm, non-judgmental community, but I think that you'll be somewhat of a religious outlier. Most of the kids in the neighborhood will likely go to different schools than you send to, and you will need to choose between not letting your kids go to certain houses, or exposing them to a lot more than you are comfortable with.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 11:37 am
Besides your DH wearing a black hat every day to shul, nothing you said strikes me as being too right wing for the neighborhood. I would still suggest you check it out for a Shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating