Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Instant culture postive overnight negative?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 4:33 pm
What would you do? Give antibiotics? Yesterday we went to urgent care and instant came back postive. Gave her one dose of antibiotics and today went to regular dr. And instant was negative. Called back urgent care and they said so far overnight is negative. I am really confused!

happy12

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 4:36 pm
Instant can be positive from old dead bacteria. Overnight culture grows only from live bacteria. Did she have strep recently?

rydys

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 4:39 pm
The instant culture reacts to a protein on the surface of the strep. If there are dead strep in the throat, the instant will show positive. The overnight culture actually grows the strep, but only live active strep with grow.

The overnight culture is much more accurate than the instant as it reflects active infection, rather than past infection or incidental strep that got in the throat but are not causing infection.

I would follow up with the urgent care for further instruction as to whether to continue the antibiotic or not.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 5:41 pm
amother wrote:
What would you do? Give antibiotics? Yesterday we went to urgent care and instant came back postive. Gave her one dose of antibiotics and today went to regular dr. And instant was negative. Called back urgent care and they said so far overnight is negative. I am really confused!

Ask your child's primary doctor who she saw today, what to do. They could explain it to you the best

goforit

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 5:59 pm
Dd had strep the last time 2.5 months ago. Problem is that the dr. gets upset if you go to urgent care. Urgent care told me still to give antibiotics. I am waiting to see tomorrow if the first overnight gets postive or the second overnight from today is postive. Is it possible that one dose of antibiotics made the instant culture from today negative?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics