Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child had eye surgery dr doesnt notice......should I switch

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 7:17 am
My child had surgery for extropia (where eyes go up out and the eyes are not aligned). The surgery was for both eyes. The dr said it is 80% successful and sometimes they need surgery again

Problem is one eye still goes up n out a little BUT THE DR DIDNT NOTICE THIS AT POST OP APPT A MONTH AFTER . When we brought it up, she said well if it is still going up he may need bifocals. She also said "well if it goes up when less than arms length away, then it is okay"

So now im not so confident with her(she comes highly recommended). But, if his problem can be corrected with bifocals why do surgery to correct it?? Also she didnt say "this means the surgery for that eye is not successful. She brushed it off.

I am planning to go to another dr but I have to wait for my yearly allowance date by my insurance.

I also believe I can get a lot of info here fron ppl who experienced this.

Did your child have surgery on both eyes for misalignment/strabismus...? Was it successful? Does your child need glasses due to this issue?? How old is your child??(mine is almost 3).

Another thing I dont understand is why my child needs glasses for this issue. The glasses didnt correct the misalignment but now that the surgery is done, why still need the glasses??

animeme

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 8:26 am
I don't know this issue. But check with your insurance; second opinions are often covered.

Teomima

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 8:51 am
Have you considered looking into optometric vision therapy? I ask because what should have been explained to you is that surgery can help move the eyes so they look (more) strait, but it still doesn't teach the eyes and brain to work together. Children adapt to having misaligned vision so surgery alone isn't sufficient. Glasses can help, but really what would probably be best is therapy (a series of vision exercises taught by a certified vision therapist/developmental optometrist). I highly recommend you look up a COVD (College of Vision Development) certified developmental optometrist in your area and get a second opinion. At the very least, you're owed answers as to why your child's eyes behave the way they do and to understand ALL your options, short and long term.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 3:19 pm
Teomima wrote:
Have you considered looking into optometric vision therapy? I ask because what should have been explained to you is that surgery can help move the eyes so they look (more) strait, but it still doesn't teach the eyes and brain to work together. Children adapt to having misaligned vision so surgery alone isn't sufficient. Glasses can help, but really what would probably be best is therapy (a series of vision exercises taught by a certified vision therapist/developmental optometrist). I highly recommend you look up a COVD (College of Vision Development) certified developmental optometrist in your area and get a second opinion. At the very least, you're owed answers as to why your child's eyes behave the way they do and to understand ALL your options, short and long term.

Thanks everyone for responding.

I was going to an opthamologist but im interested in looking up a vision therapist but ive never heard of this. Do you have any names of eye doctors that do vision therapy with little children??? You are correct that it makes sense to need to teach the eyes and brain to work together.

Teomima

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks everyone for responding.

I was going to an opthamologist but im interested in looking up a vision therapist but ive never heard of this. Do you have any names of eye doctors that do vision therapy with little children??? You are correct that it makes sense to need to teach the eyes and brain to work together.

It depends on your location. You can use this link to find someone in your area:
http://locate.covd.org
(I was an optometric vision therapist for 11 years)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics