Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How did you know that your child needed orthotics?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:53 pm
my son always complains about his shoes.

I have taken him to get fitted by renowned shoe fitters.

I have spent $100 on a pair of shoes.

The minute he gets in the car, in the house, he kicks them off.

His foot looks normal. He has a normal walk.

Who decides if orthotics are helpful? The pediatrician? Podiatrist?

mommyla

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:57 pm
Maybe he just doesn't like to wear shoes? I take mine off whenever possible.

My son wore orthotics for a while because his foot actually did turn in. The podiatrist took care of it. But I didn't think they were really that necessary, so when I took him to an orthopedist for a different reason, I asked. The doctor said that orthotics are almost never necessary for most kids and they will not change anything about his foot - they'll just cost you a couple hundred dollars every six months or so! He hasn't worn them since and his feet are fine.

Ask your pediatrician, but it doesn't sound like he needs them. If he's complaining that they're uncomfortable, maybe get him a pair of padded insoles from Target or something to cushion the inside.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 1:02 pm
My son was about 16 when he complained that his feet were hurting
Turned out was because of his flat feet
Pediatrician reffered him to a podiatrist
He got orthotics and was told to ONLY shoelace shoes
This really was the solution for him

wifenmother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 1:23 pm
My son was 11 when he started complaining of knee and hip pain. Because my husband has flat feet and wears custom orthotics since he's 9, I took him to the orthopedics. Custom orthotics were the answer to my son's pain as well.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 1:29 pm
I wore orthotics as a child on recommendation of a podiatrist.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 2:04 pm
Podiatrist.

With my kid it was funny - I never really paid that much attention to how she walked, and don't all toddlers walk a little funny? but when I took her to get fitted for shoes (not her first pair, but in the early days) the shoe fitter said these were a good fit, and I said "but she's walking funny," and he said "lady, that's her feet, not the shoes. The shoes are perfect for her." He took them off and had her walk around barefoot and sure enough... I asked the pediatrician about it at her next visit and he referred us to a podiatrist. Sure enough she had something or other with her ankles and something with her foot shape. She was never much of a runner but I didn't think much of it because she was always quieter and tamer than her sister. After a few years with the orthotics she's walking and running much better.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 2:37 pm
A physical therapist can also recommend orthotics.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics