Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Explaining differentiated instruction

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 5:18 pm
Anyone have any good stories to explain the message of all people having different strengths, yet everyone being precious and valuable? I’m teaching middle school and began giving out different level assignments, but I’m hearing comments from some students that they got the “stupid” packets. I’d also love to hear how you introduced this or dealt with it in your classroom....
Thank you!!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 6:10 pm
When I give leveled assignments I'm really careful to make sure they look similar and everyone has enough of a challenge to work the entire time. I also try to make it so everyone's contribution is necessary and valuable (ex: if we're focusing on elements of story I'll give a higher group questions on point of view or literary devices and a lower group questions on setting, and afterwards everyone is responsible for sharing their part to help the class review). Or if each group is reading different stories, I don't tell them one is easier, just that they have different stories and they need to be ready to share about their story. I think that element of responsibility helps them feel accountable and they're less concerned with what others are doing.

As far as comments about what packet they got, I would just say you all have your part to do-- don't worry about everyone else, worry about yourself. Privately I might speak with a student about that concern and ask him/her if he/she would like to try a more challenging assignment next time, and to prove to me that one is too easy for him/her.

KollelMommy

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 6:56 pm
Thanks for your response. I like the idea of dividing up the literary analysis. For these packets, I told them that if anyone felt it was too easy or wanted more of a challenge, she was welcome to come speak to me and try a different packet....

teachkids

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 7:39 pm
My students mainly just notice that someone's packet looks different, like has English in it, and will point it out to me. I calmly respond, "I know, don't worry", and changed the topic. At a certain point they stop pointing it out.

In terms of the kids who get those differentiated packets, I pull them aside before and tell them, "I noticed that sometimes X is hard for you, I want you to focus on X/Y so that you can get better at it. Your packets might look a bit different than someone else's, but don't worry, if you don't make a big deal, no one else will".

STMommy

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 10:08 am
can you make a "cover page" on the front of every packet that has the instructions, or just the words
This is YOUR packet designed for you.
Keep your eyes on your own paper.
Do not worry about what your neighbor is doing.
Focus on your own work and do your best.

Then everyone turns the page and does their own thing but upon initial distribution of the packet, everyone has the same cover page on top.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics