Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Dogs/Pets in Passaic?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 7:16 am
Hi,
My husband and I spoke with a rabbi in New York (we currently live out of town in a tiny community). We told him some of the issues we are having with chinuch, lack of resources, etc. He has known us about 10 years since we started on the derech of becoming "frum." He suggested we look into moving to Passaic.

We want a warm environment for our children without undue pressure from stringencies that are not halacha. We are more to the right in some ways (I wear a sheitel for example) but not in others, but heading toward the right as far as emunah and middos, at least I/we are trying.

We are also looking at a couple communities a bit further from Passaic, such as Elizabeth/Hillside.

My main question now is -- do families in Passaic have dogs. I know it sounds silly, but we did not grow up frum, we love dogs, and have a small one as a family pet. He doesn't bark or bite and we try to know the halacha involved.

But that rabbi we spoke with said something about giving up your dog to secure a place in Olam Haba. And I keep thinking of that over and over in my head. My kids would be crushed. But I know Hashem runs the world and things have a way of working themselves out when we have the right intentions.

Thank you in advance for any positive/informative insights.

All the best!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 7:25 am
Plenty of people have dogs in Passaic. I would not worry about giving it up to fit in. It’s a very accepting community.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 7:28 am
Dogs are welcome in Passaic! You will not be unusual in that way.

No need to give up your olam haba or your dog!!!

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 7:39 am
I'm confused as to why your rabbi feels giving up your dog will give you olam haba. What's the relevance?

Also, wanted to add to the previous posters that having a dog in Passaic is pretty acceptable (although probably more in the YBH crowd than YKP crowd)

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 7:43 am
Thank you! That was nice to read.

Do the schools seem to be accepting as well? We would have kids in elementary, middle and high school. You mentioned YBH. We are still researching options.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 8:06 am
Yep, there are dogs here. Not in any way unusual. Be prepared for neighborhood kids to ask to pet your pet. IME it is accepted by all hashkafos, whether they personally have dogs or not.

And there are a lot of baalei teshuva here, also happily accepted.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 8:18 am
definitely people have dogs in Passaic.

Beingreal

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 8:49 am
We would love to have you here in Passaic! I grew up with rabbits. Its very accepting here with lots of friendly people.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 9:52 am
I've lived in Passaic a long time and I do think dogs are unusual here. I only know a handful of frum families with dogs and most are older families. There is a house with dogs on the corner near me and most kids cross the street rather than walking in front of their gate. My kids and dh are terrified of dogs and wouldn't go to a house with a dog.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 11:24 am
I live in Passaic there are from families here with dogs and I know alot of friends who would have but not up for the upkeep. We are a ybh parent of you want any information you can let me know

kjb

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 11:28 am
I don’t know anything about Passaic and can’t say whether is the right place for you. But the rav who advised you to give up your well behaved beloved little family dog to ‘get into olam haba’ Is DEFINITELY the wrong rav for you.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 4:26 pm
Passaic is a good community for Baal Teshuvas who are growing, and has a nice infrastructure so you will find all you need to live a frum life there. Elizabeth is smaller with less choice and more on the modern side, but very welcoming.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 4:29 pm
Lots of people in Elizabeth / Hillside have dogs! I knew a few families in Passaic with dogs, but it seemed like a minority to me, but not out of place.

As far as the poster who said that Elizabeth is more modern - Elizabeth has more of a spectrum than Passaic, so if you average everyone it might be more modern, but there are enough yeshivish and BTs that you wouldn't feel out of place if you are happy with a bit of diversity (and if you are coming from out of town, especially with kids, Elizabeth will be much less of a shock than Passaic. Passaic is lovely too though.). It's true that Elizabeth has less options in general - one school, one rabbi (with several sub-rabbis), and a very cohesive unified community (this is amazing for some people but not for others. May feel more familiar for out of towners). Elizabeth is also smaller than Passaic, but I'm sure much larger than anywhere you would be coming from.

Both are great choices, meant for different people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating