Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o"frummer"-an acceptance exercise-what does YOUR Rav hold?
  Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 8:34 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Kol hakavod to anyone who has a relationship with a rav. It brings bracha on so many levels.
Puce, your rav sounds like a das yachid in some areas.

Obviously Wink

But isn’t that the point of this thread

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:

- foods don’t need hechsherim as long as the ingredients are kosher (including on Pesach)

Interesting. My dad used to hold this when the law in the US was that any ingredient that is less than 1% of the product doesn't have to be listed. That's less than 1/60th, so if there's something in there that's not on the label, it's batel so we could eat it. (Dh's and my rav hold that this only works b'dieved, but growing up we held l'chatchilah in this case.) But then they changed the law; since then, ingredients that are less than 2% don't need to be listed. That means something unkosher could be more than 1/60th but under 2%, and not listed, so you won't know it's there. So we had to stop just reading ingredients.

Maya

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 8:38 pm
Seas wrote:
I won't comment on the other stuff that you wrote, but these two are almost certainly a mistake (namely you're mistaken about the psak).

We don't normally kasher utensils or ovens from milchig to fleishig, only from milchig and fleishig to parev. There are circumstances when it's allowed, but normally it's not.

This is actually a very accepted practice among the most Chassidish and Yeshivish of my neighbors, all of whom asked sheilohs about this. The timing varies; most do an hour.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 8:39 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting. My dad used to hold this when the law in the US was that any ingredient that is less than 1% of the product doesn't have to be listed. That's less than 1/60th, so if there's something in there that's not on the label, it's batel so we could eat it. (Dh's and my rav hold that this only works b'dieved, but growing up we held l'chatchilah in this case.) But then they changed the law; since then, ingredients that are less than 2% don't need to be listed. That means something unkosher could be more than 1/60th but under 2%, and not listed, so you won't know it's there. So we had to stop just reading ingredients.

Where did you get that info? For allergy purposes, that could not be the case.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:

Totally a fact. For allergy purposes, they write: may contain traces of whatever, but they're not required to. And noones allergic to lard.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 8:42 pm
amother wrote:
for allergy purposes, it will say “may contain....” I heard this too, from Rabbi juravel from the OU. But it seems like your Rav (maybe Rabbi Abadi?) - holds differently than him, so really we should keep this thread on track and follow our own rabbis.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:

You are correct; the major allergens must be listed in any quantities now. But most other things don't have to be. As to the source, my dad is a chemical engineer.

ETA: It is possible this has changed. I know it's why we stopped years ago. I imagine it has to do with the definition of trace ingredients, which don't always need to listed.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
for allergy purposes, it will say “may contain....” I heard this too, from Rabbi juravel from the OU. But it seems like your Rav (maybe Rabbi Abadi?) - holds differently than him, so really we should keep this thread on track and follow our own rabbis.

You’re right, let’s keep the thread on track. But you are misinformed re fda requirements. Even tho the poster above you says it’s fact, so I guess it is! Rolling Eyes

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:
You’re right, let’s keep the thread on track. But you are misinformed re fda requirements. Even tho the poster above you says it’s fact, so I guess it is! Rolling Eyes
lol, I’ve got no clue about FDA requirements when it comes to food!

little neshamala

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 8:51 pm
Seas wrote:
I won't comment on the other stuff that you wrote, but these two are almost certainly a mistake (namely you're mistaken about the psak).

We don't normally kasher utensils or ovens from milchig to fleishig, only from milchig and fleishig to parev. There are circumstances when it's allowed, but normally it's not.

Petting or touching an animal isn't a problem of muktzah, only lifting or moving it. One may even walk a dog on Shabbos with a lead (in the street with no eruv), as long as it's held fairly taut, not too close to the ground, and there isn't a tefach sticking out of the hand in the other direction (past the hand, not between the hand and the dog).

If anything your post highlights the need to check halacha with a rav, rather than relying on hearsay on the internet.

Regarding the oven-you are correct, I wasnt clear. It transfes it from milchig/fleishig to parve.

As far as the pet-no I am not mistaken. He was very very clear about it. I understand if your Rav holds differently.

ETA- I got myself confused. Regarding the oven...it changes the status from what it was to anything. Milchig to fleishig to parve whatever

Last edited by little neshamala on Thu, Feb 22 2018, 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Green

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:01 pm
amother wrote:
Yes. And nothing needs to be covered.

Did you ask him if you can then cook on this counter or put a hot pesachdik pot on the uncovered counter, or eat warm food that fell on the counter?
I assume not

SuperWify

My Rav also holds that a pad or white tissues is not mekabel tumah. I am always confused when people buy colored tissues...lol

Also regarding one oven we hold you can use it immediately after for the other type ie. Meat then straightaway dairy provided that their are no oven spills.

We don’t fast two years after birth

amother
Puce

amother wrote:
Did you ask him if you can then cook on this counter or put a hot pesachdik pot on the uncovered counter, or eat warm food that fell on the counter?
I assume not

As long as it is clean yes. Not sure what you mean by “cook on this counter”.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:03 pm
Oh and no female oral zex!!!! Exploding anger Exploding anger At wits end Shooting Arrow Banging head

leah233

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:09 pm
These threads remind me of an ancient joke.

There was this person who always had a Rov with a Hetter for everything.

After 120 years they bring him to a room with a gemorah, a rickety shtender, a bench and a cup of tea.

As they leave and are locking him in they say "You can just sit and learn. No one is ever going bother you again"

"Where are am I?" he asks "Gan Eden" they answer "So many Rabbonim say that being able to learn undisturbed is Gan Eden. How can you even think otherwise?"

Last edited by leah233 on Fri, Feb 23 2018, 8:36 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:10 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Oh and no female oral zex!!!! Exploding anger Exploding anger At wits end Shooting Arrow Banging head

Sounds like mine...

little neshamala

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:14 pm
SuperWify wrote:
My Rav also holds that a pad or white tissues is not mekabel tumah. I am always confused when people buy colored tissues...lol

Also regarding one oven we hold you can use it immediately after for the other type ie. Meat then straightaway dairy provided that their are no oven spills.

We don’t fast two years after birth
l

Wow, interesting about not fasting 2 years PP

SuperWify

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:34 pm
little neshamala wrote:
l

Wow, interesting about not fasting 2 years PP

Why? I thought that was accross the board.

It’s really simple:

The gemarah holds that a woman is considered a yoledet for 2 years after giving birth, hence there are two practical applications for these days:
1. She does not have to fast for 2 years
2. She SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN A HARD TIME to get a birth control heter in this period because her body is not back to it’s normal state until two years are over

Last edited by SuperWify on Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:36 pm
superwifey- not everyone will easily give a heter for birth control....

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:
superwifey- not everyone will easily give a heter for birth control....

I just heard yesterday that R Moshe was very against BC. Unverified, so take that with a grain of salt.
Page 2 of 11   Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next Recent Topics