Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Beef stew for shabbos lunch

ttbtbm

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 7:01 pm
I’m thinking of making a beef stew instead of cholent for shabbos lunch. Does anyone do this? I’m wondering if the meat gets very dry after cooking in low for 20 hours after it was fully cooked.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 7:14 pm
Put it up raw immediately before shabbos on low and make sure you have lots of liquid.

smile12345

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 7:27 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Put it up raw immediately before shabbos on low and make sure you have lots of liquid.

I don't think that's allowed halachically. AYLOR though as far as I know, it has to be cooked before shabbos comes in.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 7:31 pm
smile12345 wrote:
I don't think that's allowed halachically. AYLOR though as far as I know, it has to be cooked before shabbos comes in.

We've been over this before. Maybe it's time to aYlor.

The halacha is that it can be either:
1. Fully raw when shabbos starts
or
2. At least 2/3rds cooked by the time shabbos starts

It can't be partially cooked, between the raw and 2/3rds states.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 7:38 pm
I did it just a few weeks ago and it was delish. I put it up in my crockpot early Friday afternoon. It was not overcooked or dry at all. Use a fatty meat and enough liquid.

smile12345

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 7:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We've been over this before. Maybe it's time to aYlor.

The halacha is that it can be either:
1. Fully raw when shabbos starts
or
2. At least 2/3rds cooked by the time shabbos starts

It can't be partially cooked, between the raw and 2/3rds states.

Interesting. Have never heard this before. Will have to check how we hold. I did find this though which seems that some don't hold that way nowadays:

Major caveat: Rabbi Yosef Eliyahu Henkin, the premier halachic authority of America for several decades in the early-to-mid 1900s, felt that a "will take too long to cook" setup as described by the Gemara didn't pertain to today's kitchen appliances, so he felt this option was no longer available. (This appears in the Ezras Torah calendar, which follows his rulings.)

Regarding number 2 - it seems it's either 1/3 or 1/2 (different opinions).

ttbtbm

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:57 pm
smile12345 wrote:
Interesting. Have never heard this before. Will have to check how we hold. I did find this though which seems that some don't hold that way nowadays:

Major caveat: Rabbi Yosef Eliyahu Henkin, the premier halachic authority of America for several decades in the early-to-mid 1900s, felt that a "will take too long to cook" setup as described by the Gemara didn't pertain to today's kitchen appliances, so he felt this option was no longer available. (This appears in the Ezras Torah calendar, which follows his rulings.)

Regarding number 2 - it seems it's either 1/3 or 1/2 (different opinions).

Definitely AYLOR but I’m pretty sure Our Halacha teacher in high school told us that if we aren’t sure if Our cholent is cooked enough right before shabbos to put in a piece of raw meat.
My only concern is that my low is too low for raw meat and it will spoil. Maybe I’ll put it up in a pot and cook it like that till just cooked and then put it in a crockpot on low right before shabbos???
It’s so disappointing when these things flop.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 11:22 pm
[quote="ttbtbm"]I’m thinking of making a beef stew instead of cholent for shabbos lunch. Does anyone do this? I’m wondering if the meat gets very dry after cooking in low for 20 hours after it was fully cooked.[/quote

I’ve been leaving my meat in the oven at 180 and it’s great. 170 might work even better. That’s as low as my oven goes. But also remember that the food should be cooked and hot if you leave it on one of those heats or it’ll be a food safety issue.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 11:22 pm
smile12345 wrote:

You are wrong.

ttbtbm

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 11:26 pm
[quote="andrea levy"]
ttbtbm wrote:
I’m thinking of making a beef stew instead of cholent for shabbos lunch. Does anyone do this? I’m wondering if the meat gets very dry after cooking in low for 20 hours after it was fully cooked.[/quote

I’ve been leaving my meat in the oven at 180 and it’s great. 170 might work even better. That’s as low as my oven goes. But also remember that the food should be cooked and hot if you leave it on one of those heats or it’ll be a food safety issue.

My crock pot has numbers. 1-6 I think. I have no idea what temp each number represents. I turn my cholent down to 4 before shabbos which leaves the cholent simmering. But it’s all a guessing game.

Petra

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 12:53 am
Per The Shabbos Kitchen, Chapter 4, Maintaining Food on a Flame:
Raw meat can be placed in a pot on an open flame before Shabbos since it won't be cooked in time for the evening meal...however given modern appliances, this is a leniency no longer reliable...
HOWEVER, it "is permissible to put raw meat in a crockpot, without any blech, immediately before Shabbos, provided that one is certain the food will not be ready for the evening meal"

Admittedly, I was surprised when I learned this.

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 7:13 am
Petra wrote:
Per The Shabbos Kitchen, Chapter 4, Maintaining Food on a Flame:
Raw meat can be placed in a pot on an open flame before Shabbos since it won't be cooked in time for the evening meal...however given modern appliances, this is a leniency no longer reliable...
HOWEVER, it "is permissible to put raw meat in a crockpot, without any blech, immediately before Shabbos, provided that one is certain the food will not be ready for the evening meal"

Admittedly, I was surprised when I learned this.

WITHOUT A BLECH! Wow! I did not know that part! Thank you!

smile12345

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 7:19 am
andrea levy wrote:
You are wrong.

Admittedly, I had never head of the option to do this. Always learn new things on here.

However, after checking online, I can see that there definitely are opinions both ways (eg. apparently Rav Yosef Eliyahu Henkin and Rav Elyashiv held that it doesn't apply nowadays) so everyone should check how their Rav holds.

Aylat

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 7:23 am
I've done shabbat lunch beef stew a bunch of times and it came out delicious. In case anyone's interested, I actually did a keto version: hunk of beef, onions, kohlrabi chunks, tomato paste, spices, mushrooms.

cbg

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 7:24 am
What’s yummy with stew is to add tomato sauce and coffee, dry instant, less than 1 TBSP for the whole thing, yum

cbg

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 7:31 am
cbg wrote:
What’s yummy with stew is to add tomato sauce and coffee, dry instant, less than 1 TBSP for the whole thing, yum

I’m making braised shank meat
I season the meat well
And FREEZE- this way it doesn’t over cook
The next day
Add tomato sauce, a little water, seasoning and 1 Tbsp of coffee
Put it in the crockpot before Shabbat on low.

I serve it with sauteed veggies- this week it’s mushrooms, onions and sugar snap peas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics