Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Feng Shui and Judaism

Emuna

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 12:20 pm
I would like to get a feng shui consult for our home but my husband is telling me it's total avodah zora. He doesn't really know from experience, though. Does anyone have experience with this? Honestly, it's cheaper than a designer and I need some help here.

amother

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 12:51 pm
Ask you rav. We have a feng shuj book; I just skip the advice that's based on funny stuff, wall hangings, symbols, etc.. And I don't do it in order to change my life or certain areas of it, just to motivate me to organize my home and get some tips on how to do it.
But a lot of it is just common sense: if you home is orderly, you feel more clear in the head, where to put plants, the less stuff the better... And the bottom line in a lot of feng shui advice is - try a certain arrangement, then listen to yourself how it makes you feel, if it improves, keep it, if not - change it... Don't we all do it anyway?

It might be like yoga... some allow it if you use it as a set of exercises for health resons, just like most of it is taught in health clubs, without any philosophy behind it..

roza

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 5:50 pm
I second what the amother above said, I remember asking Rabbi Leibel Wolf from Australia ( the Kabbalah -Mind Yoga- Lubavitcher) this very question and he said it's ok to use feng shui recommendations to add comfort to your home (and they know how to position your furniture just right) but nothing more then that.

Emuna

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 11:45 pm
So I spoke with the feng shui practitioner and she seemed sweet enough, but then at the end I dropped the "J" word and her tone seemed to change. I don't know, maybe I'm paranoid. She said she's from the "form" school which doesn't include as many "charms" and I said, "Oh that's great because we are Jewish and we really don't feel comfortable with any spiritual aspects" - then there was an awkward silence and then she said "Oh yes, my work is very closely related to Vedic texts and this is connected to the Kabbalah"...

YUCKY Exclamation Exclamation I don't know, maybe I'm too sensitive but I think I'll pass on this one. Are there any truly pareve feng shui practitioners out there - that won't talk about "Veda" and "Kabballah" Rolling Eyes

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 8:15 am
What is feng shui?

Emuna

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 11:39 am
It's some sort of Eastern (Chinese, I think) discipline where you organize your surroundings in order to create a good "flow" of energy throughout. Basically, good design that optimizes the potential of your house. The problem is, there's a lot of voodoo that comes along with it. Like hanging amulets, etc. in order to attract good things. That's the part I want to avoid. Hope that explains it.

cheerios

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 1:57 pm
I don't know if I'd hire a feng shui person to come to my home [there are frum proffessional organizers who can help you with that]. But just for your interest here is a link to an article explaining what is ok with feng shui.
http://www.jewish-life-organiz......html

twinkltoes

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 5:29 am
I agree with amother 1000%. Most of it is just plain common sense. Who wouldn't want to tune into that? And if it gives you a sense of peace and harmony, then that can only add to your emotional overall health.

To the OP: Are you in Israel or the US? My mother is a dati Feng Shui consultant here in Israel if you're interested. She does not advertise but has done many homes and businesses in her area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics