Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Kluzenberger Rebbe suggested Frum women go into nursing?

Mevater

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 1:23 pm
I read the Mishpacha article this week, regarding the Tessler School of Nursing in Israel, and sort of got that feeling from the article. This referred to the old Klausenberger Rebbe.

chavamom

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 3:30 pm
I don't know about the Klausenberger rebbe, but when I was thinking about going to nursing school there were a lot of people telling me it was "not a job for a frum woman". We asked R. Ya'akov Weinberg and he told me "it's not just a good job for a frum woman, it's a mitzvah. If you are going to work outside of the home, it's a job that is 'kulo chesed'". I wound up going to a nursing school in the US that was affiliated with a Jewish hospital. I loved the hashgacha of the fact that the school has a crest with the word "chesed" on it in Hebrew!

amother

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 3:49 pm
What's the oldest age they generally accept in Nursing school? What rewarding job can a middle aged person do in the health field, without going to school for years?

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 3:51 pm
I read it wasn't just the women who were being encouraged to become nurses, but men as well. I think the Jerusalem Post? but I am not positive.

chavamom

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
What's the oldest age they generally accept in Nursing school? What rewarding job can a middle aged person do in the health field, without going to school for years?

I don't know about elsewhere, but in the US they don't discriminate by age. There are a lot of older women that go into nursing. And if you do an associate program, you can sit for boards after 2 years.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 4:44 pm
while I cannot answer regarding what the rabbi said, I will say that I graduated nursing school in my late 20's and was one of the younger students. many students were returning to nursing school as a second career choice and were in their 40's. currently the average age of a nurse in 48. I work in critical care now and the unit has just over 30% male nurses (I know this is rare). the career is terrific, I've worked in both israel and the us and my salary as been able to support my family very comfortably.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 1:04 am
amother wrote:
the career is terrific, I've worked in both israel and the us and my salary as been able to support my family very comfortably.

Do you mind if I ask how much a nurse in Israel makes? I was under the impression that they are poorly paid in Israel.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 5:28 am
bumping this up with a question.

I also saw the article and was interested but I am scared of learing in Hebrew. Does anyone know if there are any nursing programs in Israel that make allowances for olim?

Thanks

hila

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 5:31 am
I have a friend who teaches in Machon Lev and Sharei Tsedek nursing schools . PM me for her number. I am sure she would talk to you about options.

greentiger

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 6:34 am
To the original question:
I believe that is true and that is why there is a frum nursing program for girls in Laniado hospital in Netanya -right off Kiryat Santz.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 4:22 pm
chavamom wrote:
I don't know about the Klausenberger rebbe, but when I was thinking about going to nursing school there were a lot of people telling me it was "not a job for a frum woman". We asked R. Ya'akov Weinberg and he told me "it's not just a good job for a frum woman, it's a mitzvah. If you are going to work outside of the home, it's a job that is 'kulo chesed'".

Yet, if you work as a nurse in Israel, you are primarily doing chesed with your fellow Jews. This might also be the case if a nurse works in a US hospital that is patronized by many Jews.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics