Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
ELBOW NOODLES CONTAIN BUGS!!!

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 10:51 am
I dont know why this hasn't "hit the news" yet, but elbow noodles may contain bugs and need to be checked! I saw the bugs with my own eyes yesterday.

to check: pour raw noodles into a pot of water. if there are any bugs, they will float to the top

(dont be too grossed out)

if you DO see bugs, all those noodles must be thrown out, and the pot washed with hot soapy water.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 10:52 am
Where did you hear that this was a problem?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 11:02 am
As I often say, you should check everyting that you put into your mouth.

justanothermother

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 11:06 am
If you have bugs on your pantry or supermarket they can get into your pasta. As CM says, you should always check everything. Some have found maggots in chocolate bars and mice in green beans, so look before you eat.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 11:08 am
I understand that, however, the original OP was making it sound like the bugs are there from the time of manufacture.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 1:04 pm
could be in your pantry. could be in the store. could be in manugfacture; you never know.

I've seen bugs in grains....cereals....tea bags....even potato chips.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 1:17 pm
its definitely not my pantry bec. once I mentioned it to a few friends of mine, they checked and found them too.

I dont know how it really "came about" my mom just told me that a friend told her about it, so the next time she opened a box, she checked...and viola!

I've also found bugs in cereal.

the reason I mentioned it is bec. of how to effectively check elbows which most people dont know. at first I had just been sifting through the noodles and never found anything. I mean come on, no one is gonna peer into each elbow, right? but if u dump it into water like I said before, any bugs in there should show up.

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 2:09 pm
we always put our noodles in the freezer for a few days (kills the eggs), and then keep the noodles in the freezer or fridge. My parents in America have been keeping their noodles in their freezer for years now (even before they started keeping yashan). Also, when buying the noodles, look at the packaging. See if they look fresh, if they cling to the bottom, don't buy it (learned this from my Israeli neighbor :-))

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 2:28 pm
I have had this problem on occasion -- and even when it's not yoshon season Wink
I like the fact that Mishpacha packages their noodles in plastic bags, but I've been checking my macaroni for a year now, and then storing them in ziploc bags.

gold21

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 2:54 pm
oh, yuuk...
crazy with all these bug problems...!
maybe try another brand? perhaps some companies dont have this problem? I do usually check rice when it is boiling in the pot to see if anything floats to the top (ugh) but so far I havent checked pasta....

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 5:32 pm
when I was upstate, someone gave me a box of noodles they didn't finish.
I immediately put it in a ziploc due to our ant problem.
however, the NEXT day when I used them, I decided to check them just in case.
I layed it on a white paper plate and saw some bugs. eews! and not even ants!
So I agree...check your rice, check your barley, check your PASTA!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics