Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you get paid for Yom Tov days?

bigmomma

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 7:48 pm
All you working women out there-do you get paid for yom tov? Do you come in Erev Yom Tov? Do you get paid for Yom Tov only if you come in Erev Yom Tov. Do you work chol hamoed? Basically a survey question-I'm sure everyone's situation is different. I would like to know different companies policies.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 7:52 pm
oh I wish... my paychecks are basically 1/4 less during chagim..it hurts

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 8:07 pm
Thankfully, at this point in my life, I'm paid !!!!

There were many years that I did not have this, though - I had the yomtov expenses and less income...

Yakira

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 8:30 pm
We get paid a salary, so even when we have off, we get paid, b'h. It was nice to get a paycheck after my 2 week-summer break for basically being on vacation. That being said, we don't have off as much as other frum places, but more than my old Jewish place. Erev Yom Tov we work (besides erev Yom Kippur), and CH"M we work, but my boss understands us taking a day off if we need to (we're entitled one personal day a month).

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 8:32 pm
BH I work in the velt, and have every other Friday off, so my 2 paid floating holidays are for 1st day RH (2nd day I was off anyways) and 1st day Sukkos (2nd day I'm off anyways). Shemini Atzeres and Simchas Torah will be paid personal business days off (I have 5/yr). I don't have any vacation time yet, otherwise I'd use some for that.

I am working erev yom tov and chol hamoed. I could ask for erev yom tov off too, but I need to keep some time for pesach, fast days, etc. BH my company has been very accomodating.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 9:41 pm
Last year I didn't since I was hourly. It was frustrating, between YT and legal holidays, plus maternity leave and sick/snow days (we had a lot here) I was out quite a bit of anticipated income. I guess just goes to show you G-d is in charge. This year b"h I signed a salaried contract for x hrs a week = x pay with the understanding that if holidays get in the way I still get my paycheck.

Marion

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 12:07 am
I'm in Israel, so yes. I'm supposed to work erev chag, but didn't at RH and won't at Succot because Egged (bus company) decided that people in my "field" (hi-tech) don't have to work at that time and I can't get there. So I lose 1/2 vacation day, it's fine because I don't use too many of them anyway. We're also closed chol hamoed, but the company does charge us 1/2 vacation day for each day chol hamoed. Again, I don't mind. DH's place of work is also closed chol hamoed, but he's hourly and the yamim tovim REALLY hurt us that way.

workingallthetime

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 12:29 am
I use vacation days for yom tov, and depending on how many people I am having, and if I have to cook all the meals, how busy it is at work, etc. decide whether I will take off erev each YT. I will probably go in a few hours in the am erev succos (I did RH) but not erev YK. this year is a tough b/c all the yom tovim are on weekdays

nicole81

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 1:07 am
This year I'm not getting paid because I chose my own hours and work anywhere from 4-20 a week, and sometimes not at all.

But working for the same company for an hourly rate, I always got paid for yom tov. Erev yom tov I worked until one and wasn't paid for the rest of the day. But I got 8 hours a day paid when the holiday fell out on a full day of work. We also had to work chol hamoed, and if you took off on day, you didn't get paid for yom tov at all.

hadasa

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 2:01 am
nicole81 wrote:
We also had to work chol hamoed, and if you took off on day, you didn't get paid for yom tov at all.

That sounds rather cruel and manipulative to me, but maybe I'm just not used to that type of working world.

hila

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 2:10 am
Herein israel YT itself is a paid day.
But my place of work is closed on chol hamoed, and teh comany docks full days from vacation Sad

Erev Chag we are closed too .

( I think that from RH - Sukkot it comes to 4 and a half days vacation)

So I get to be with the kids for Chol hamoed.

Gmar tov and Chag Saemach

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 9:58 am
this is one of the reasons why I LOOOOVE Israel:) the chagim, the JEWISH CHAGIM:) are the national chagim as well, it sometimes makes me have suuch a big smile....

where I work, we work erev chag and then for chol hamoed, they are still deciding.

for last pesach they decided that because our bosses are based in america and they had the second day we were not even going to work on isru chag (for america that was the 2nd day, for us it was isru chag) b/c the company in new jersey did not want any money to be made on a chag. so we are all waiting anxiously to find out if we have work on chol hamoed sukot. but if we dont it will be paid vacation.

chaimsmom

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 11:24 am
I use my vacation days for Yom Tov. I get 21 vacation days a year plus two personal days if I don't use any sick time, so it's usually not a problem Plus, my boss is really nice and will let me work a Sunday instead of using a vacation day.

small bean

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 11:30 am
I work every day - erev yom tov doesn't matter and I work for frum people. today is erev yom kippur (I'm at work now), I will probably leave at about 2. I get paid overtime for chol hamoed if I come in - (mandatroy for 2 hours in the morning). I work in stocks - so they need someone to be there. As far as yom tov days I dont get paid but I get a bonus before every big yom tov. like last year succos I got $1,500.

Lani22

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 11:33 am
I use my paid vacation and personal days for YT. I am working erev yom tov and chol hamoed.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 11:38 am
I work for a Jewish organzation & I get paid for Yom Tov but if I don't go in on Erev Yom Tov, I don't get paid.

vicki

Post Sat, Sep 22 2007, 11:43 pm
I take vacations days for every day I take off except national (American) holidays.
I have 15 days vacation a year + 3 sick + 5 personal.

I am on maternity leave now but usually work Erev Yontif unless I am having lots of company. Then I take a vacation day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics