Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Fruit Flies

WaitingtoDeliver

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 8:15 pm
Anyone know what to do to get rid of fruit flies? They invaded my home a couple of days ago and I don't know how to get rid of them. (There is no fresh fruit around).
Thanks!

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 8:18 pm
nasty little bugs... it could be anything...

I have one or two also...stinks

cassandra

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 8:24 pm
Get fly paper. It is low tech and really works. You can get it in the dollar store.

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 8:27 pm
Been there many times...It can be really annoying. They also multiply amazingly fast! Twisted Evil

*Don't keep anything tempting out of the fridge or pantry for too long:
any type of prepared or raw food on the counter, leftovers from dinner, etc. will keep the bugs in your house...not just fresh fruit.

*Wash fruit bowls, counters, sinks and garbage cans often.

*Empty the trash often and keep it covered always.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 8:51 pm
Here's a recipe for a fruit fly trap that really works. mix a bit of apple cider vinegar, honey, and dishwashing lotion in a bowl. The flies really go for it. I had this problem two weeks ago, and it caught most of the flies that day and the next.

You cover the bowl with the bottom part of a soda bottle, inverted to make a sort of dome**, the flies go down into the bowl, and if they try to fly out, they are trapped by the dome.

My mother got this advice from an exterminator.

**I had a little trouble with the dome, some of the flies were sitting on it, with no clue how to get IN, so I cut little zig zags at the edge, so they could find their way in. Confused In the morning I saw it had caught more flies. In the end I removed the dome, and they still got caught. Smile

loveit

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 10:45 pm
My husband and I went away on a 2 week vacation and forgot to not only take out the trash but to do the dishes in the sink. Needless to say, when we came back we had fruit flies!!

Throw all food waste away in a covered garbage can and take out the trash often, never let dirty dishes sit in the sink, use fantastic or other cleaner on the sink, counter tops and even cabinets (not really necessary, but you never know) also, make sure to run the disposal often and pour bleach down the drains, clean the floors and definitely put away any fruit or veggies that may get left out.

Luckily fruit flies have a relatively short life span so after we had been back for a week, the fruit flies were gone, yay!! Although we do have a couple of stragglers, but I don't think that they will last too long. Also, don't let any water sit out on counters (even in the bathroom) or sinks because they can use it too to survive.

Good luck, it seems horrible now but in a few days they should be gone and you will forget all about it. I did (we've been back from vac now for 2 weeks) until I saw your post!

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 11:11 pm
GET FLORESCENT LIGHTING Very Happy since I got it for my kitchen I have no mosquitoes or anything flying B"h though they do need to be cleaned every six months Puke

GAMZu

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 11:38 pm
Fill a seltzer bottle with some water, flour and yeast. Yeast is what the flies eat. Make it into a firmish mixture. They will all go for it. When you see there are a lot inside, quickly stuff the bottle with a cotton ball or something. It must be FAST bec. they are even faster! Then bring it outside and let them go!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 1:18 am
I got rid of them by hanging up those yellow pest blocks. Mine says Hot Shot on it. I hang them over the kitchen sinks.

shluchamom

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 1:21 am
They basically like moist and wet surfaces so the way I got rid and prevent them is I keep my counters and sink area as dry as possible and have a shpritz bottle of fantastic on my counter and I shpritz and wipe down any part of the counter after its been used and B"h this year I've so far managed to avoid them.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 10:16 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Fill a seltzer bottle with some water, flour and yeast. Yeast is what the flies eat. Make it into a firmish mixture. They will all go for it. When you see there are a lot inside, quickly stuff the bottle with a cotton ball or something. It must be FAST bec. they are even faster! Then bring it outside and let them go!

the flies came back Sad and they took over my laundry room! I hung up a fly catcher, and put out my vinegar trap, but they must be getting smarter Rolling Eyes I'll give your recipe a try, can you give proportions?

RedVines

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 11:49 pm
I could have wriiten this post, mine cam RH time and I still have stragglers, I feel like I am constantly spritzing windex at them, I have also poured bleach down all my drains. AAAHHHH I hate them!!!!!

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 10:18 am
My MIL told me this one...

Put a banana peel in a jar and let all the fruit flies come to it, then cover and throw them outside.

Lovemylife

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 7:32 pm
if you have a garbage disposal run some bleach down and let it swish the bleach around a little.

and make sure everything stays sanitized and dry..
it was so h ard to get rid of them, I had them for a few weeks

MahPitom

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 9:34 pm
In a spray bottle filled with water, add 1 capful of Shaklee basic G. Spray on the flies and they die right away. After about 2 weeks of constantly killing them, you effectively kill the eggs as well. When you see one at any time, just spray and smile to yourself evilly.

It helps it you go very close to the fly and spray right on it. If you are too far, the mist will only help it fly away but if you zoom in right on top of the fly, you can get it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics