Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Medical Transcription

shira

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 3:50 am
Does anyone work in Medical Transcription? Do you enjoy it? Can you reccomend an online course?

catonmylap

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 4:26 am
My mom does.

I've always questioned her on how long it can keep being doable with technology changing. Her doctors finally started using audio files instead of tapes. It still works with her foot pedal though. I didn't understand exactly how; I haven't seen her new set-up (She's in the U.S.).

I don't know if anyone in Israel does it at all other than from the U.S(and how much that sort of outsourcing has taken off if at all). All the doctor here just type their notes directly into the computers. But the move to audio files means it should be able to be outsourced anywhere in the world.

I heard IDT was looking for some transcribers not long ago (but the hours were all night hours).

It's good in that you can do it from home. You have to be able to type really fast. My mom loves that she hears medical advice all day long. She also has tons of short cuts set up in her word to make it go really fast.

I've tried by doing some for her...I didn't find it that exciting, and it would bore me to do it all day long. I don't know what they could really teach you in a course. It would all come down to how fast you can type and how accurate you are. Pay is often by the word or row.

You can search to see if there is a site online that you can freelance for....I've seen sites for freelancing for writers, graphic designers, etc...I've never looked for transcribers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics