Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Shabbos Make up: spray foundation
Previous  1  2

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 7:50 pm
Faigie, do you advertise here?

faigie

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:05 pm
this particular makeup does not adhere to the skin, with the required tenacity to be in violation of tzoveah. it is tested in various ways, by the rav to assure that it has the proper characteristics to be permissible under the melachot of shabbat. one of those tests , for example has to do with the products solubility and adherence to the skin.
choc,,, what with this thread , I think maybe I should give it some serious thought! I never expected the thread to get this far.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:33 pm
faigie wrote:
this particular makeup does not adhere to the skin, with the required tenacity to be in violation of tzoveah. it is tested in various ways, by the rav to assure that it has the proper characteristics to be permissible under the melachot of shabbat. one of those tests , for example has to do with the products solubility and adherence to the skin.
choc,,, what with this thread , I think maybe I should give it some serious thought! I never expected the thread to get this far.

Can you explain a bit more how it is permissible, please. My husband doesnt seem to think that it is possible, I know that you are under the hasgacha of Rabbi Blumencratz but can you explain it a bit more so I can explain the details it to my husband.
THANKS

faigie

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 10:01 pm
ok your DH is about to get a lesson in the history and development of cosmetics from the late 70s till today.
here goes
pigment is what gives makeup its color, BUt there are other components of makeup, which make it adhear to the skin. years ago, andi mean the 70s. technology wasnt as advanced as it is today, and makeup simply did not stay on as long as it does now. back in the 70s any makeup that was made into a powder was ok to use for shabbat. why? becuase the adhearance to the skin was minimal. kind of like if a paper was leaned against a window.
it wont become one with the window, or even stick to it. same idea with the makeup.
fast forward over the years, people demanded that their makeup LAST a very long time.
at that point, one could no longer depend on just making ones makeup before shabbat into a fine powder to do the trick. various factors, ranging from the kind of vitamin product in the makeup, to its base, created makeup that simply adheared itself too closely to the skin to be ok for shabbat. kind of like, that aforementioned paper, started to become one with the window. now the Rav had to test each and every product to see if it was loosely attached enough to pass for shabbat.
I hope that helped.

faigie

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 10:09 pm
one more thing please.
try to remember that the idea behind tzoveah was to dye stuff in the mikdash. maybe that puts it into perspective.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 8:23 pm
so the reason that shabbos makeup isnt tzoveah is because it doesnt stick to the skin?

faigie

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 8:26 pm
no makeup sticks to skin per se, but this sort of makeup sticks even less to the skin itself.
it has to do with pigment and technology, as well as the characteristics of the high mineral content itself.
buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...........simply put, id say youre right!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:34 pm
feigie, is there maybe anything written up explaining the whole thing according to Halacha that I can give me husband to read (- something geared to a pretty learned guy)

faigie

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:55 pm
at this point id just call the rav and ask anything further.
ive given you all that ive got!

hadassah

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 5:30 pm
wow this thread is fascinating.
When I was a young girl in the 1960s and early 70s we were taught in school that any powder that didn't "last forever" (yeah sure, remember the eyeshadow of those days that at best lasted through your date?!) was ok on shabbes as it wasn't tzovea. So we could use powdered blush, powdered eyeshadow, and face powder. No way that you could use any liquid. As for lipstick there was this marvelous product that we would get from England, all of us who had frum friends or relatives there, which was like colorless nail polish (and tasted and smelled the same, just don't taste your nail polish now to see what I mean), and after you put on lipstick it went with a brush over it and literally sealed your lips. Fichs as we say here in Israel, it was disgusting and you NEVER wanted to taste it even by accident. And when it dried your lipstick was on forever, or at least until you bit it off. Lasted through anything you ate, through washing your face even with shabbes soap, you just kept away from scrubbing your lips...and after shabbes you took it off with....cold cream of the good old fashioned kind...or you could of course use nail polish remover but who wanted to put that on your lips...

Anyhow, the lip sealant is long gone but a lot of us older women (gevalt, first time that I am calling myself that and I'm almost 50) still just do what we were taught...I use a powder blush and face powder (loose) on shabbes and kind of bite my lips for color and that's that...but now you make me think, maybe the blush is no good? But I buy the real cheapie kind which doesn't last anyhow so is that ok?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 5:52 pm
Hadassah I was taught as long as it doesn't stay and it's not coloured/shiny you can use it. Shabbes make up is a very new thing here, I have heard of it but never seen it sold anywhere - a bit like kosher make up or water...

faigie

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 11:00 pm
technology has changed since the ..ahem....good old days LOL..
ya gotta have the stuff tested out before you use it for shabbat.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 10:26 am
Faigie- Is your Shabbos makeup the same as Reflections Cosmetic, which is also approved by Rabbi Blumenkrantz? I am currently using it and very happy with it. Is yours applied differently, do you have other colors? Does yours need a moisturizer spray for over the makeup?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 10:32 am
faigie wrote:
technology has changed since the ..ahem....good old days LOL..
ya gotta have the stuff tested out before you use it for shabbat.

I'm only 23 LOL

faigie

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 3:47 pm
reflections can not be used On shabbat itslef, unless one remembers to scrape.
no scraping here.
anti-inflammatory properties here, very high mineral content. no spray of any kind needed. yes to rabbi B.

littles

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 4:05 pm
faigie, do you have a website?

faigie

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 8:03 pm
no I dont, sorry.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 8:30 pm
does your foundation work to cover vitilgo (loss of pigment)

faigie

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 9:23 pm
loss of pigment , depending on the severity, may fall into paramedical makeup.
thats really something that would need to be seen in person.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions