Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Know of any high school for girls with attention issues in N

amother

Post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 9:47 am
Does anyone know of any high school for girls with attention issues in NYC? My DD is lively & non-academic but NOT a kid-at-risk who would really flourish in a school that can appreciate her good points.
It seems that many of the schools who could cater to her are dealing with girls who have unfortunately already gotten to a difficult place, yiddishkeit-wise. The "regular" schools don't seem to tolerate girls who don't conform to their ideals. Any suggestions?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 10:06 am
I'm also looking to for a girl's high school in NYC or anywhere in U.S. that caters to girls who are not so academic, yet not at risk and offers alot of extracurricular ,not all day academics. Boys seem to have more options as far as vocational yeshivas etc. Anyone know?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 1:31 pm
tiferes miriam & the ichud program are both gr8 options. not so much for vocational training, but for small groups and catering to individuals' needs.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 7:46 pm
amother wrote:
attention issues

odd phrase

What sort of curriculum would be good for her?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 10:25 pm
not necessarily a curriculum, but the teachers who can deal with attention issues.
also, if a child with attention issues is not on grade level, they need a class that can cater to her level.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 8:47 am
Thank you, BrachaV'Hatzlacha-that's exactly what I meant! BTW-do you know of anyone who has first-hand knowledge of these programs?

Attention issues are only a problem if they are made into a problem or rather, if they are beyond the scope the teacher(understandably with 20+ students in a class and sometimes very little training in how to handle any special issues). My DD, who is ADORED by almost everyone (Adults & children) out of the classroom, is made to feel like a terrible, BAD, and uncontrollable person in the classroom. I have tremendous Hakoras HaTov for the teachers who were able to look beyond her performance in the classroom and appreciate her good points.

That being said, my daughter is BY FAR, not the only student who has this problem and I'd like to know if anyone has managed this successfully.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 11:25 am
If you feel comfortable, you can PM me about Ichud or Tiferes Miriam.
I taught one year at TM and my sister was in the Ichud program in High School in BY HS.
Also, although I don't know her well, I know someone with ADD who attended TM.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 9:55 am
Anybody know the name of the school in Monsey, started by Rabbi Nachman Kramer? He started it because he didn't think girls should be studying like men in yeshiva (!) and his school's approach might suit your daughter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children