Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Freezer

Shif

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 8:58 am
Right now I have a chest freezer, and it is not frost free....I want a frost free freezer, but was told that frost free freezers do not store the food as well, meaning it will get freezer burn a lot sooner than the freezers you need defrost.

Does anyone know if this is true??

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 9:09 am
I h ave the kind that's manual defrost, too. Becuase of that.

Remember the unit was cheaper to buy, and cheaper to run.

Shif

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 10:10 am
but is manual defrost better at preserving food over a 3-6 months than frost free???

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 10:38 am
I've read several account that it is....but I don't have experience to compare..yet...

my manual defrost freezer comes on wednesday, so I'll let you know in a few mos Wink

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 10:59 am
My frost free freezer NEVER causes freezer burn, I am amazed to read that it should! My worst freezer experiences were with those that had to be defrosted manually. I finally bought a shop vac in the States to suck up all the melting ice and water... what a job!!!! For Israel, even though it costs more to run I bought frost free because I am getting too old for fun in the ice.

YALT

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 11:24 am
You need to remember: A chest freezer keeps things longer than a regular upright freezer.
So when comparing, please make sure to specify if your experience is with 2 chest freezers, or 2 uprights. If it's one & one, it doesn't prove much.
Quote:
How long can I keep foods in the freezer?
This depends on the type of food and also on your freezer. It’s a good idea to check any instructions on food labels, or in the handbook for your freezer, on how long food should be frozen

from http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asks.....tonly

cookielady

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 11:46 am
I have a Frigidare upright, frost free. I am very happy with it. I use it for meat for longer storage, never had a problem. I freeze alot of things but I am very careful about ziplocking it. That helps avoid freezer burn. Certain things just don't freeze well. For instance, my family will never eat chicken that is cooked then defrosted. Even well heated it just has a certain taste.

Shif

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 3:12 pm
right now, I have a small 3cubic chest freezer, but want an upright frost free...I use it mainly for storing raw meats and chickens (I buy in bulk)...

cookielady, how do you store your food? double sealed? or just in 1 ziplock?

thanks

cookielady

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 6:24 pm
I am picky. I find ziploc brand freezer bags are much better than the generic kind. Or I'll use ziploc or glad containers then into a ziploc bag. Sometimes I think I should be ziploclady instead of cookielady. Wink

cindy324

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 9:18 pm
I have a fridge with a frost free freezer, and I NEVER had a problem with freezerburn. Sometimes, my kids will go into the freezer to get ice pops, and will inevitably move a pan that's covered with foil, and loosen the covering, and even then the food had no off taste at all, I was pleasantly surprised when I found a pan of lasagna half uncovered, heated it up and it tasted as fresh as if I just made it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars