Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Freezing food

Henya

Post Tue, Nov 02 2004, 6:15 pm
I made too many salmon patties tonight for supper. Does anyone know if I freeze the extras, will they come out of the freezer o.k. (& not soggy or gross)?

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Nov 04 2004, 11:36 am
I think it should be o'k.
But if they come out soggy, you can fry them a bit to evaporate the extra liquid.

Sunshine

Post Thu, Nov 04 2004, 1:37 pm
Yup! Almost everything freezes. I was born and raised in a big frum community, and we had a lot of kosher stores arround, so my mother never put anything in the freezer. I recently went on shlichus and now I have to get used to freezing everything! My mil is also a shlucha so I get tips from her on what feezes well and for how long. One thing I was told to never freeze is mayo. The first thing I bought when we moved to the place where we are shluchim is a BIG freezer, and it is plenty full. We have bread(shipped from NY because the store here had only "specialty bread for a deli" and I don't like it, and the closest frum and tiny community is 4 hours away and they charge a fortune, so it is cheeper to make an order from NY!), meat (30 lbs)and chicken(120 pieces) come in bulk by the case(we get it dirrectly from Rubashkin), cheese, cottage cheese(doesn't taste too great once frozen, but not so bad if you bake it like in lasagna), milk, fish loaf, etc. It takes some time to get used to, but once you start it is hard to quit. My mil used to go to the kosher store a hour a way from her once in a while and stock up on food, and recently the supermarket near her started selling a variety of kosher milchig stuff, but she is so used to buying and freezing that she can't stop! I hope that never happens to me! I freeze cause I have to, but would rather not. In a way it is easier, like you don't have to always run to the store to get food, but it is hard when you are waiting for an order to come and it is late. I have to start ordering before things get too low in stock. B"H for Walmart Supercenter and Sam's Club! They are 2 blocks from me and have plenty of dry/ canned goods that are kosher. They even have salmon fillets that are frozen with a hechsher, frozen apple pies, and Pas Yisroel bagles(that are expensive, but good for a treat and good for when you are stuck and must have bread), chumus, cole slaw, potaoe salad(don't tast good, but are excellent for emergencies).B"H I HAVE THE ZICHUS TO BE A SHLUCHA OF THE LUBAVITCHER REBBE!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen