Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Potato Kugel

Lani22

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 1:58 pm
Someone once gave me a potato kugle that included a cup of boiling water. it was delicious and I cannot find the recipe. Does anyone have a recipe like this?

whoami

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 2:05 pm
with any potato kugel recipe, the last thing you should do is add boiling water = to the amount of oil. it makes it light and fluffy.

boruchhashem

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 2:06 pm
I add seltzer in the same amount of oil.

Lani22

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 2:16 pm
sounds good- thanks. I just started making potato kugel as I just purchsed a food processor. So far they havent come out so great....

mommalah

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 2:18 pm
There is an awesome recipe for potato kugel in the kosher palette. After combining all the ing's you put a 1/4 c cornstarch and the pour 1 cup boiling water over it and mix. Is this the one you are talking about?

Lani22

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 2:19 pm
I made a potato kugel recipe form the kP and it came out ...kinda blah. But it didnt have boiling water in it I think it was the Traditional Potato Kugel..

shoy18

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 7:40 pm
I use a cup of seltzer and a 1/2 cup of oil

mommalah

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 7:54 pm
The recipe in the KP that I was referring to is called Lacy Potato Kugel.

SZ mother

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 9:23 pm
I consider myself a very good cook, really, things always came out great but I never, ever not even once could make a decent kugel untill I found this recipe. Simple, quick, and delicious!!!! Follow it and you will have a great kugel!! Flufy, crispy and tasty.
Tip: onion = BIG onion! It gives more taste.

http://www.chabad.org/library/.....l.htm

Hatzlacha!

spinkles

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 10:38 pm
SZ mother, I completely agree--the Chabad kugel is the one I started making about a year ago, and it really is the best! I have to say, though--for me it's a potchke, you have to cube all the potatoes and it takes forever. It's really yum, though. (BTW, you can substitute onion powder for the onion to save time...I think it tastes better that way, too.)

If you don't have a lot of time, mashed potato kugel (a.k.a. doughless knishes) is better than regular potato kugel, since it freezes well.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 7:12 am
thanks for the link. I enjoyed the video too (Esther Winner's Taste of Shabbos). I had never watched it before, and it really gets you in the mood of cooking!

it seems to me that the ratio of egg to potato - one to one - is what makes this kugel so good. And maybe the blender does a better job than food processor, I have to assume that because Esther uses her food processor for all the other recipes!

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 9:28 am
I've never met a potatoe kugel I didn't like ... but those sound scary with water and seltzer What

yrs1025

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 9:35 am
I make that Golden Potato Kugel recipe from the purple Spice and Spirit cookbook. It comes out delicious.

bigmomma

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 9:57 am
I use that recipe also but substitute oil for the margerine and add a bit more oil than the recipe calls for.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 10:20 am
I gotta agree with greenfire... ADDING water? I tend to have to use matzahmeal because there's too much liquid already!

As I made my potato kugels about an hour ago, I guess I'll have to try the water thing next time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes