Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need advice

tzatza

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 5:10 pm
Dear working moms,

When I started this job I just found out I was pg. Everyone was nice about it, I worked for 6 months, had a baby, stayed home for about 4 months and then went back full time. I have been back at work for 5 months, and just found out I am expecting again. Did any of you find yourself in similar situation? How did your boss and colleagues responded? (I work in a non-frum environment, and even though people are supportive, I KNOW I will get some looks).

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 6:12 pm
Yup. and years later, everyone still remembers!

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 7:14 pm
when I was pregnant I was always vomiting on the trains - gosh and would come to work late ... then towards the end I couldn't move ... then when she was born ... I called in "quit" - couldn't do it ...

tzatza

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 8:24 pm
Oy vey,
I am dreading talking to my boss, as understanding as she is:)
I am still a little bummed about poitive HPT and the whole gamut of issues it brought about.
Any pointers on how to speak with the boss?

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 9:15 pm
Whatever you do, don't "apologize" ie. well, we didn't think this would happen or we weren't looking for this again so soon, etc. Don't apologize for making a Jewish home.

However, if you feel you must tell her right away, you can make it clear you are committed to your job and are here to do your part, etc. This is a challenge, but you want to work and want to make this work....sound upbeat.

no doubt, she may not feel so positive, at least at first. From a boss's perspective, it is hard to juggle workload/personnel. everything will work out! And remember, the baby brings his/her own parnossah! b'shaah tova!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 11:13 pm
I was in a similar situation. They can't do anything about it. I'm sure they weren't thrilled. I'm sure everyone thought I was crazy. Life goes on. Many people did ask me if I planned on having more, so be prepared for that question.

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 1:06 am
At my interview for my current job they asked me about our family plans (acceptable question in Israel), especially seeing as I was coming off a maternity leave. I answered that I definitely was NOT going on mat leave in the next 9 months! (In other words, I was not pregnant at the time of the interview.)

I am currently starting my 3rd week of maternity leave...and today is my 1 year anniversary with the company.

I don't know where you are, or what the law is there. Here you only have to tell your employer by the end of the 5th month, so more or less the halfway point. I told earlier for a couple of different reasons, but that's totally up to you.

My suggestion would be to make sure they know you are committed to your job. If you're NOT planning on returning after this maternity leave, be honest with them about that too...it makes a difference to them in terms of who they hire to "replace" you, whether it's a temp or someone they can keep on after your leave is up. If you can, make the effort to schedule appointments and tests outside of your working hours. Missing as little work as possible, even though they can't penalize you for it, is one of the best ways of showing them you're serious and that you value your position.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics