Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Stern College

supermom

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 11:39 am
What type of school is stern college?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 11:42 am
what are the choices?

red sea

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 12:05 pm
Its a good college, its part of YU.

supermom

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 9:48 am
Is it a modern college? I know some girls that went there and came out of there not keeping shabbos. My cousin wants to go there so I offered to look into it.

supermom

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 9:50 am
Her twin brother wants to go to the YU over there to be next to her since they live in Chicago.

If it is part of it. What does that mean? They have an option of mingling with the boys and girls?

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 9:56 am
It's YU's sister school. I think they have some social events together that are totally optional. ONe of my friends met her husband at one of those events. But otherwise they are in totally different parts of the city and you can have as little or as much to do with YU as you want. They probably share teachers and professors. you can take as little or as many religious studies courses as you want depending I think on your degree...
I didnt go there but I have tons of friends who went there and they are all perfectly frum girls. But there are totally irreligious girls there also.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 10:02 am
In my opinion its the kind of school that turns girls into snobby japs,it happened to friends of mine,the majority of girls who go there are either very rich and have daddy pay for everything,they also become boy crazy,chasing after the boys from y.u. and vice versa.it becomes a competition who can get married faster,and finding the richer boy.
however,you do have a small group of frum girls who go for the education and who get that education.
from my experiences the girls spend their nights dressing up and hanging out with the boys in the lobby downstairs.It depends on what kind of background you come from if you feel you want to send your daughter there.

smiley:)

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 10:11 am
No one but the girl herself decides if she will become a snobby jap. If that had to be written out for you that's a little sad.

There are all types in Stern, all levels of frumkeit, apikorsus classes, classes taught by a munkatch chassid.
I went to Stern. I can assure you I was not boy crazy. The only boys I ever spoke to were the ones I dated (not many) and the one I am married to. Same for all my friends I associated with while there. I saw up close YU boys once when I went for a shiur there. yes, inappropriate things happened after the shiur. So I left. I have several friends from Stern who are not married (mid-upper 20's) and there is no contest. If all the girls in Stern spent their nights in the lobby (which admittedly yucky stuff goes on there... thats why I walked past it) they would have made MUCH bigger lobbies by now!!

cassandra

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 10:37 am
There are all different types at Stern, just like any other college... the common denominator being they are Jewish women. It will be what you make of it educationally, socially and religiously. It can a very good experience, but then again, I may be a snobby jap....

(And I think the reputation of ALL the girls hanging out in the lobby with YU boys goes back 20 or 30 years, and while it still exists it is the minority now)

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 10:51 am
What's the big deal about some women hanging out with some college men? It doesn't mean they're not good frum girls, it doesn't mean they're not studying or being good students. Some people think it's a good thing to be comfortable around men and to date them before engagement. Unless I'm missing something. Are these girls doing anything terrible?

cassandra

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 11:11 am
No, but since things have shifted to the right there is a clear delineation between the girls in the lobby and others. It is not just the socializing with members of the opposite relations, but indicative of other things.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 3:29 pm
There are hundreds of girls there so its not really appropriate to stereotype and say they ALL hang out in the lobby with boys all night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries