Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Babysitter asking for $1/hr raise

Nicole

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 1:13 pm
So this is the story.
I suppose I could say we have a babysitter we are really happy with. She watched dd all of last year (from when she was barely 6 weeks old) while I was finishing nursing school. She's jewish but not frum although she keeps "kosher" (more about that later) and I really am so happy to have her and not some filipino woman. When I graduated in june, I didn't know when I would pass the boards, so I told her, that although we love her and would love to have her when I start to work, she's free to find a job bec I wasn't prepared to pay her a weekly salary just to "keep" her until some unknown time that I'd start working.
As I've written about, I just started working about 3 weeks ago, but I'm per diem. I am only working about 2 - 3 shifts / week and I happen to KNOW that the babysitter is looking for something more full time which is fine- I understand that she has to earn a living as well. However, she has even asked me to advertise for her on luach shock so it's kind of the understanding that she may leave at any point.
Today she asked for a raise- to be paid $10/ hr instead of the nine we've been doing until now. Totally normal, I was thinking of raising it pretty soon anyway, HOWEVER:
I am expecting a baby in less than 6 weeks, be'h. That means I'll only be working another 5 weeks, about- another 10 - 15 days. Then I'll be taking off at least 6 weeks to recover by which point this woman may have very possibly found another job because- 1- she wants something more full time and 2 - what's she to do for the 6 weeks I take off??
So, my question is:
1- Is it just common curtesy to up her salary being that we're happy with her, even though she may not stick around much longer?

2- If I do up her salary, what will be iy'h after the baby, if she DOES stick around- I assume I'll have to raise it even more being that there'll be an extra child around...

don't quite know how this works... What

I'm sure she figures that now that I'm out of school and working, I can afford to pay her more. But in actuality, last year my parents were helping us out, AND I wasn't paying my own health insurance... basically, things aren't so clear cut as they may seem....

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 1:19 pm
I don't have much to add except that it's normal to ask for a raise after a year of work. I'm sure that most people would do the same.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics