Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Department Store

amother

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 2:59 pm
We need parnasah really badly and so my mother in law just brought up the idea of working in a dept store bc they are hiring around the holidays. My mother brought the same idea up this morning!
It's good pay, easyish work, store discounts, and I'll have insurance!
But I don't want to work in a store where the theme is x-mas.
Would you do it?
I don't think I could surround myself with non jews everyday and listen to carroling until the 25th!

ny21

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 3:01 pm
maybe you can work at costco I have with great results

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 3:11 pm
I avoid malls this time of year for that reason. All the Xmas hoopla drives me crazy. But hey, if you need the parnasa, you need the parnasa. It's annoying but worth it if it will help your family pay the bills.

nicole81

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 3:15 pm
are you sure you will have insurance? a lot of places require you work for a minimum number of hours and months before the policy kicks in.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 3:27 pm
ny21 wrote:
maybe you can work at costco I have with great results

I don't live in NY.

Nicole- A women who works there told my mother that they give it.

nicole81

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 3:37 pm
if you don't work there, does your family not have any insurance then? because if that's the case I would definitely do it. health should be one of your top priorities.

and if you need the money that bad and there are no other options right now I'd definitely take it. the whole xmas environment is only as big of a deal as you chose to make of it. you can chose to not let it get to you...

one more thing, I have worked in stores and while it's not demanding, I wouldn't call it easy work during the season. customers can drive you nuts and the whole experience-minus the xmas theme- can still be very stressful!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 7:46 pm
ask a rov if you think it's a shaylah.

I've heard dept store santas speaking yiddish !

mimivan

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 8:08 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
ask a rov if you think it's a shaylah.

I've heard dept store santas speaking yiddish !

CM...I hope he isn't the Rov...! LOL

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 8:11 pm
if he is, then I suppose it's one shaylah less ...

louche

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 11:58 pm
why not? it's true that the music can drive you crazy but you know if you heard any music over and over and over and over it would get annoying even if you loved it to begin with. it's not such a terrible thing to be reminded now and then that you're in galus which is all too easy to forget when you live in certain largely frum communities. Me muz machn a lebn, you know? It's not like you'd be working for a chrch r be forced to wish people a merry xmas.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 10:29 am
While at one of my favorite stores, which Yael does not care for me to mention on our site, I heard the clerks moan that they had to start wearing their Xmas hats starting Friday .....

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 11:52 am
I have an opportunity for you to make parnassah over the holiday season part time. I'm in Cleveland but can train you via phone and internet no matter where you are (in the USA). If you're interested, private mail me and we can set up a time to talk. You'd make better money than in a department store and for some, it's a lot more fun.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics