Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah dough in fridge

amother

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 8:24 pm
I put challah dough in the fridge to rise, but I don't know how long the minimum and maximum time needed for it to rise. My recipe usually takes form 2-4 hours for the first rise when it's out on the counter. I'd really appreciate any ideas from someone who has succesfully risen dough in the fridge before.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 9:19 pm
been doing it for years, why?

why are you amother, anyway?

loveit

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 9:09 am
I usually leave it rise overnight. I assume you have at least 8-10 hours before you want it to be done since you put it in the fridge?

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 9:52 am
hm ... so long as you warm it up and let it rise outside too ... don't really matter much the timing ... catch it before it overflows onto the shelves and the other stuff in there ... you can shape them while cold even and then let rise ...

su7kids

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 11:00 am
Because of these short fridays, I got a new idea for Challah.

Let it do the FIRST rising on the counter, and then shape them and immediately put them in the freezer over night. Then, when you get up in the morning, take them out of the freezer, and then they defrost and rise and by the time I get home from work at about 1:30 on a Friday, the first thing I do is put on the oven and "paint" the challah with the egg wash, and then bake it, while I'm doing other things.

Its worked perfectly so far.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 11:59 am
su7kids wrote:
Because of these short fridays, I got a new idea for Challah.

Let it do the FIRST rising on the counter, and then shape them and immediately put them in the freezer over night. Then, when you get up in the morning, take them out of the freezer, and then they defrost and rise and by the time I get home from work at about 1:30 on a Friday, the first thing I do is put on the oven and "paint" the challah with the egg wash, and then bake it, while I'm doing other things.

Its worked perfectly so far.

That's what I usually do. If I'm already making a mess, I bake enough challah for 2 or 3 shabbosim and freeze the braided raw dough, then take out Friday morning to defrost and rise and bake just before shabbos.

But since it's already Thursday morning I just didn't know if I need to freeze the dough or if it would still be good sitting in my fridge for the extra day/ day and a half.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 12:04 pm
hm, I have had yeast die in bread dough in the freezer.....with my bread machine it's not hard to mix it fresh each week, bh.

su7kids

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 2:59 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
But since it's already Thursday morning I just didn't know if I need to freeze the dough or if it would still be good sitting in my fridge for the extra day/ day and a half.

I wouldn't leave dough in the freezer, only the shaped challahs, because then yu don't have to touch it, just defrost and bake it.

Kinneret does it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads