Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Do you put chicken soup mix in your chicken soup?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 2:25 pm
When I make chicken soup I use hawayaj (Yemenite soup spices), no soup mix. The soup comes out delicious, even my Ashkenazi-est guests have enjoyed it!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 2:29 pm
they are made to cook with?
are they reusale? and if so, how do ic lean them?

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 2:35 pm
Yes, they're made to cook with. I don't think you should reuse them.

Maya

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
I keep reading about everyone using cheesecloth-
this is a little embarrassing but what exactly is it, and where do you get it from?

Just ask for Wrap n' Boil bags in any kosher supermarket.

Tefila

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 2:46 pm
Quote:
I find that I throw away SO many veggies and chicken every week - it's such a waste!! So I use one chicken leg, lots of carrots, celery, zuchinni, and onion - and a couple cubes.

Cindy I pure'e it. Once fully cooked so the kids especially don't know the difference it works and when they come back 4 seconds I consider that a compliment Smile .

louche

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 4:13 pm
DefyGravity wrote:

No reason not to clean them except that it's a chore. I use cheesecloths for straining, squeezng out tabbouli, making yougurt cheese, and so on and I always wash them out until they wear out.

Tefila

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 6:32 pm
Quote:
my DH keeps saying that my Pesach soup is phenomenal. the interesting thing is it's always such a yellow broth...much more pronounced that the year-round one. we kept trying to figure out what was making it get like that...never could.

Ditto. It could be b/c it's simmers over the flame way longer. Wink

Earnest

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 6:46 pm
I just noticed that Osem now makes chicken soup mix that is MSG free, so I threw out the old one and bought the new product. I add it like I would add salt. The problem with adding salt is that I don't know how much to add...with the soup mix, I can tell by the 'color' when enough is enough. If I added sauteed onions, parsnip roots, parsley roots, lots of carrots, and let the chicken soup simmer for a l-o-n-g time (the evaporation is called 'reducing' the stock) ...and if I knew how much salt and pepper to add by tasting it (but I don't want to become fleishig) then I wouldn't be dependent on Osem's chicken soup mix.

el2cg

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 6:55 pm
you can order wrap n boil bags at www.koshervitamins.com
http://www.koshervitamins.com/.....=2490

I put add parsley, for the last half hour to my soup...gives it great flavor
I also use black pepper balls, so the soup remains clear and tasty!

zz

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 3:06 am
When I roast chicken, I make sure there's plenty of gravy so that I can freeze some of it. When I make chicken soup I add this gravy to the classic veggies ingredients plus wings and it is so nice and rich....

Seraph

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 4:44 am
I used to put in soup mix, then discovered how much yummier it is w/o.
I put in a pack of wings or turkey necks, add a few whole zuchinis, whole carrots, whole onions. salt, pepper corriander, and sometimes hawaj. Then strain it.
Then I make matza balls on the side and put them in.
Those of you that put white meat in the soup- how do you do it that it doesnt get hard and rubbery? I've discovered that when I cook white meat in the soup it gets soo unappetizing that I end up throwing out the soup and meat.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 7:08 am
Quote:
Those of you that put white meat in the soup- how do you do it that it doesnt get hard and rubbery? I've discovered that when I cook white meat in the soup it gets soo unappetizing that I end up throwing out the soup and meat.

we keep ours a rolling boil for several (meaning no less than 3 usually) hours, then simmering for a couple of hours. it's usually the first thing I make on Fridays if I can't do it on Thursday. it's really tender. falls apart easily and is really yum. how long do you cook yours, Breslov? I like this whole everything idea. whole onions, etc. maybe I'll try it instead of chopping this week.

Tefila, you really think it has to do with time simmering? DH has this theory that it's the chicken...

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 7:17 am
louche wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

No reason not to clean them except that it's a chore. I use cheesecloths for straining, squeezng out tabbouli, making yougurt cheese, and so on and I always wash them out until they wear out.

I would think that sitting in boiling soup for hours on end would weaken them, and the next time you use it, it may start disintegrating into the soup.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:08 am
I'll definitely look out for the Pesach or MSG free one.

JewishMother - we don't buy processed kosher lepesach foods. I have to throw a million chickens & lots of salt & onions & carrots into the soup for good taste.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics