Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Newborn with Down Syndrome; Mother needs resources
Previous  1  2

happyone

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 12:30 pm
Rabbi Baruch Rabinowitz is amazing with supporting families of newly diagnosed children. If you want his phone number please PM me.

You should also have her call downsyndrome. She's been there, done that and has great advice and support to offer.

The most supportive people are mothers that have been there.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 10:56 pm
Quote:
Please wish her Mazal Tov.

Of course I did! Very Happy

And I'd like to believe I didn't act stupid either when she told me because she said that I really gave her chizuk.

Thank you everyone.

PS, can anyone tell me about the Heart to Heart thing posted above? What is it?

ChavieK

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 11:23 pm
You would be surprised, or sadly maybe not, at how many people said"oh! I'm sorry" & only thought afterwards to add mazal tov.

boruchhashem

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 11:27 pm
But you know something, you cant really blame anybody. When I was not so familiar with kids with special needs, I didnt look at kids with ds either. Nowadays, it became part of my everday life. I think they are adorable. I have a sil who has a son, and two nieces with daughters, and they are fressable. We all love them to pieces.

downsyndrome

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 12:00 am
Rule of thumb:
Always, always, tell new parents of baby "Mazel Tov!!". The bigger the challenge that the child was born with, the bigger the 'mazel tov' should be!!

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 1:07 am
Quote:
PS, can anyone tell me about the Heart to Heart thing posted above? What is it?
It's an organization run by Rabbi Eliezer Goldstock, for chizuk and counseling for people who have a down syndrome baby. They started it to help parents see that they have the ability to keep their child, and raise them, and do not have to give up for adoption.

The Goldstocks are personally the parents of a DS daughter, who they are raising, and IIRC she was attending the mainstream Bais Rivka girls school, who made accomodations for her.

It's exactly the kind of organization you were asking about!

downsyndrome

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 9:45 am
The Goldstocks have also adopted a boy with DS, who by now is most likely a bochur. I used to be in touch with them. They have a Mendel and their daughter is Sarah'la (Mushka). Very lovely people. It's been eons ago since I spoke to them....

amother

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 4:51 pm
http://www.einstein-syndrome.com/

Also, look into Nutrivene - special vitamin formula for Downs Syndrome children and adults.

GAMZu

Post Fri, Jan 25 2008, 12:25 am
Thank you!

I compiled a lot of the info here together and printed it out. I also included a bunch of articles from DSAU.org.
Thank you, d.s.!!
(BTW, I enjoyed reading your site a lot. I also went through some articles I saved from high school- and I found one by you, "Making up for Moishy.")

So anyone who volunteered to speak to the parents, they might call soon if they decide to.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics