Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Steinsaltz on Sophistication

Motek

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 9:23 am
Quote:
The abundance of sophistication, the multitude of explanations--regardless of the method employed in them--makes us cease to know what is right and what is wrong, what is truth and what is a lie. We forget what simple words such as I hate, I love mean. Instead, we get dragged into a heap of complex, convoluted talk that is completely detached from reality, from genuine experiences and emotions. In the aftermath of sophistication there is no longer a need to deny or ignore the basics. People have become so sophisticated, that they no longer believe in, or understand anything anymore.

to read the entire terrific article see:

http://www.chabad.org/library/.....=2629

goldrose

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 1:20 pm
motek, that article was in the past nshei (kislev issue) - same issue as the birthing article by shayna eliav.

very good article.

Motek

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 4:08 pm
and the N'shei Newsletter generally does not print something available on the Internet

they were told it was not on the Net so either it was posted after they printed their article back in Tishrei (they reprinted it in the Kislev issue because it was missing part of it in the Tishrei issue) or someone gave them the wrong information

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 8:30 pm
I loved that article, read it many times.

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 8:45 am
I read an article about a Russian Jew who grew up under communism and subsequently made it out of Russia in the 70's. Although not from a Lubavitch family, he spent a few teenage years learning in Chabad underground yeshivos. He said:

Quote:
When I was a boy in Mazir, Zalman, my father’s chavrusa, a talmid of the Chofetz Chaim, once said to me, “Moshe, wherever you go, you should have emuna peshuta (simple faith) without chakira (philosophical inquiry)…” This line guided me my entire life and in Chabad, I felt how this line was its motto. Emuna peshuta without chakira, this is what kept us going.

Quote:
I once took a train from Kursk to Kiev. The train left at 12 at night and was supposed to arrive at four in the afternoon. I was in a compartment for four people and my luck, in my compartment was a Russian lieutenant colonel along with his wife and child.

In the morning, I had to put on tefillin. I got up early and put on tefillin quietly and quickly, and said the Shma and Shmone Esrei. The high-ranking officer made believe he was sleeping but he watched me the entire time.

When I finished he asked me, “Are you religious? Do you believe in G-d?”

I said yes, I did.

“Can you prove it to me?” he asked.

I told him, “I am not a philosopher and can’t prove it. I know that the world is divided into two groups, those who believe in G-d and those who don’t. I belong to the group that does.”

He liked my answer and said, “More power to you…” and we parted as friends.

Obviously, it was dangerous to talk to an officer in the Russian army in that way but I got the strength to do so thanks to those years that I spent underground with Chabad. Although I didn’t spend many years with them, those few years left a deep impression on me.”

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 5:17 pm
I read "On the Road with Rabbi Steinsaltz" - very interesting. The book says a lot about him but doesn't say how he became frum. If you look him up on google, they say he grew up in a secular home and then skip how or through whom he became frum. I'd like to know who his mentor is. I think it's important to know where an influential figure got his own inspiration from and who he looks up to. Anyone?

gonewiththewind

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 5:30 pm
I am not familiar with Rabbi Steinsaltz, but this article did not speak to me. His definition of and attack on sophistication is somewhat subjective, as when he defines the snake as sophisticated, which is not the accepted understanding. This article seems to play into the hands of people who like to portray the religious as simple and backwards and against complex, modern ideas. he seems to be defending emunah peshuta as they way to go and the rest is a lot of complicated talk no one really understands. I just didn't go for it.

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 2:26 am
Rabbi Steinsaltz is not using the word sophistication as some do, as worldly in the know. The 14 yr old girl who smokes and swears like a sailor is not sophisticated but in a milder form this is how the word is erroneously used.

He is using the word in its original meaning, derived from Sophisto, as being overly philosphical. Once a friend of mine told her rav it takes her close to an hour and a half to check a bag of rice. He told her, "What is not there don't look for...". But we do this. We are always taught to interpret others intentions instead of just accepting them at face value. In literature classes students will discuss why a location, time setting etc were chosen, but they will also discuss what the character ate for lunch. If a writer is intelligent then he must be writing a deeper message disguised as fiction. It stopped many a freshman from enjoying a good book. Because the psychological mindset has so pervaded our daily life we are forever analyzing everyone we have contact with. Why did she say that? What does she really mean? And have ceased listening to what people are saying. Just read any blog to find how one who wants to can bury right and wrong in an avalanche of words, justifications and analyzing.

IRL and in forum posts often someone answers, reacts or even get angry at things that were never said. Kli bolea eino polet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics