Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Snacks for kids

amother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 11:09 pm
What would you do?
Today I was out with someone and her kid. We both had bought some snacks for our kids. Her kid finished what she had bought for him and began noshing on the food for my kids. (She never asked if he could...he just did. I didn't care at all...it's nice for my kids to share) Anyway, after a few minutes she decided that she did not want him to have any more. She asked me to wrap up what was left so that he wouldn't eat. I said my kids were still hungry so I did not feel right putting it away when they still wanted to eat. I offered to put it in a bag so that her child would not see the package and my kids could eat from there. She did not look at all pleased.

Was I wrong in not meeting her request? It seems to me if it bothered her so much she should have told her kid no, bought him another snack (since he was still hungry) or taken him away from where my kids were eating!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 11:14 pm
I've had similar situations... And what I've learned is that it is my responsibility to feed my kids when they are hungry, so I always (try!) to plan ahead and bring snacks-- and when there will be other kids around, I often bring extra snacks to make sure that my kids will get enough to eat and that we'll be able to share-- and it's also ever-so-awkward to feed only your kids when there are other hungry kids around.

If another parent doesn't want their kid eating your food, it's THEIR responsibility to step in and take their kid away or whatever. If you're giving your kids cookies and another kids has his hand in your face waiting for a cookie and his parents don't want him to have, it is totally and completely their achrayus to step in and do something. Oh, yeah, and it's nice of them to thank you for offering as well...

southernbubby

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 11:32 pm
It might work to plan ahead by saying you bring the juice and I will bring the crackers. That way both mothers bring for both sets of kids and both agree in advance on what the kids will be eating.

Tila

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 9:11 pm
Have not read other posts...I think she should have dealt with her son differently. It was not fair that you had to put away what your kids were eating. Ibring tonz of food with me on outings, esp. if we have other families along. We always share, and I would be insulted if I was told otherwise.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 9:15 pm
It's the mother's responsibility...what's her prob?

cdawnr

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 9:59 pm
sounds like mom is going to have trouble teaching kids to take responsibility for selves
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette