Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Tofutti Kashrus
Previous  1  2

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 8:11 pm
Quote:
It is only the better than cream cheese and the better than sour cream line. The ice cream is FINE.
I meant the ice cream. I never bought the cream cheese product because I was already not using their other products, re: the advisory from the VHK.

However, I'm not sure 212 is seen as just a "hiddur" from our standpoint, CM. Besides that Kashering can be fraught with many issues, not only the 212 one. For example how long the equipment is "down" before kashering. I don't really know if there were other issues with tofutti. All I know was that it - the ice cream,- (it was before there was a cc line ) had been taken off the approved list.

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 8:21 pm
Thank you cm for a really good post - it is just to your standards. My vaad holds by the tofutti as well as the kof-k. If yours doesn't, fine, but it's apparently not a problem for everyone.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 8:29 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
Quote:
It is only the better than cream cheese and the better than sour cream line. The ice cream is FINE.
I meant the ice cream. I never bought the cream cheese product because I was already not using their other products, re: the advisory from the VHK.

However, I'm not sure 212 is seen as just a "hiddur" from our standpoint, CM. Besides that Kashering can be fraught with many issues, not only the 212 one. For example how long the equipment is "down" before kashering. I don't really know if there were other issues with tofutti. All I know was that it - the ice cream,- (it was before there was a cc line ) had been taken off the approved list.

Actually, it's just the cream cheese and sour cream product from them...not their other products.

su7kids

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 9:24 pm
I just got so excited, I found cookies by Tofutti. Chocolate chip. said Pas Yisroel and parev on the packet.

Brought it home and found it had a half-moon K instead of a Chaf K.

Anyone know anything about that?

gryp

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 9:26 pm
I'll ask about it to be sure, but I didn't grow up with 212 anyway. Most people in my city didn't keep it.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 9:43 pm
212, GR, is a kashering standard. Probably your town got stuff from an all kosher facility.

all kosher is superior to kashering.

Mevater

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 10:15 pm
Those that are Machmir with the 212, how are they making pareve cheese cake, or are they not making/buying pareve cheese cake?

I've seen pareve cheese cake at Chassidishe (Rebbish) Simchos, where the Kashrus is considered second to none. What product would you think they are they using?

Isn't there a Chassidishe company that has their own run of Toffutti Cream Cheese? How do they get it to 212, if the Tofutti equipment is unable to?

bashinda

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 10:18 pm
I just went to an event in CH where pareve cheesecake was served. Also I went to a shiur at a very big name family and they served carrot cake with pareve cream cheese frosting and I have a feeling it was made from tofutti products.

Also I wish the VHC in CH would publicize tings more. How am I supposed to know there's a problem with tofutti cream cheese when it's got a reasonable hechsher and is sold in the neighborhood? Through ruach hakodesh?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 10:23 pm
Being a Jew means constantly learning, Bashinda.

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 10:26 pm
Quote:
Also I wish the VHC in CH would publicize tings more. How am I supposed to know there's a problem with tofutti cream cheese when it's got a reasonable hechsher and is sold in the neighborhood? Through ruach hakodesh?
there are reasons they can't. They aren't there to passul what everyone (else) is using, and they'd probably get involved with lawsuits from everybody if they did.

But what I do is ASK about products. and I ask to see their approved list, which is given to the caterers and mosdos. and I call the mashgiach to ask what I CAN use, where it's available and so on.

I'm a bit of a pest! Wink

bashinda

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 10:28 pm
Sorry cm but I don't see how your comment ties in exactly with me wondering how I'm supposed to get information on kashrus from the vaad. If I don't get a flyer in the mail how am I supposed to know there might be a problem with x product or y hechsher? At some point I have to trust a hechsher and a product. I can keep my eyes open but otherwise at some point I have to daven to Hashem that everything's okay. It's not about learning more.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 10:39 pm
bashinda wrote:
Sorry cm but I don't see how your comment ties in exactly with me wondering how I'm supposed to get information on kashrus from the vaad. If I don't get a flyer in the mail how am I supposed to know there might be a problem with x product or y hechsher? At some point I have to trust a hechsher and a product. I can keep my eyes open but otherwise at some point I have to daven to Hashem that everything's okay. It's not about learning more.

I attend kashruth shiurim.

TR is right, they can't put things in writing.

bashinda

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 10:41 pm
Again unless it's publicized if there's a problem and the hechsher is good than I think I can rely on that. Obviously you need refreshers on kashrus but on a day to day basis unless I hear there's something wrong I'll continue to do as I did before.

Also if they're not writing about it than I can assume there isn't a problem. Otherwise they would be notifying the community.

Mevater

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 10:53 pm
bashinda wrote:
Again unless it's publicized if there's a problem and the hechsher is good than I think I can rely on that. Obviously you need refreshers on kashrus but on a day to day basis unless I hear there's something wrong I'll continue to do as I did before.

Also if they're not writing about it than I can assume there isn't a problem. Otherwise they would be notifying the community.
I agree. Lifnei Iver Lo Sitein Michshol. If they have serious misgivings about the Kashrus of a product, there should be zero hesitation about publicizing that fact. If it can not or will not be publicized, it shouldn't be whispered either. Anything a Kashrus Organization feels strongly about, should not be left to chance. That's not fair.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 11:03 pm
bashinda wrote:

There is no problem and it's not wrong to use these prducts. It's a hiddur not to, that's all.

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 11:08 pm
You bet Kashrus Organizations know about things we don't, but you have to ask them to find out. they would have to close shop, if they badmouthed other hechsherim. As long as something isn't outright treif, and a frum Rav gives a hechsher, it's your own achrayus that you trust that Rav or organization.

There was a product with a serious problem NOT UNDER his hechsher, that our Rav had to notify the community about, but that is a very rare thing.

It's not as though everyone is looking only to uphold the standards of the VHK though. there are plenty who will use any hechsher that's reasonably accepted in the chassidishe, or frum world.

so it's hard enough maintaining the service that they do provide, without getting involved in stepping on toes.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen