Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Pig leather
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 1:05 pm
Well, I don't think there's anything problematic about "coon-themed" - you mean the striped fur? And there's nothing problematic about leopard dots, or gator pocketbooks, or lizard leather either. which I suppose ties in with the beginning of this thread...

It's the image of the creature, or the creature itself (I know some posters de-empasized this because you can visit the zoo but that's different ), which one shouldn't surround oneself with, gaze upon, expose your children to. ie. one CAN visit the zoo to see and learn about the animals that Hashem created , but not on too frequent basis, where it ceases to serve the same purpose.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 3:20 pm
GR wrote:

Quote:
If it's harmful for our generation, I am sure at least other charedim would have taken it on. I see that even my very ultra aunt doesn't do that, and it wouldn't be the weirdest thing she does!

As you said yourself, it's only a Lubavitch thing. This is what the Rebbe told us. Why do you mention other circles not doing it, as if that has to do with anything.

Quote:
Up to now, except in Lubavich rabbanim, what I read about it is "it's a Lubavich custom, but in halacha it is absolutely not problematic to have treif animals in real or image or toy".

Of course it's not halacha. It has a basis in halacha, that's all.

For the record, it is not strictly a Lubavitch thing. We are not Lubavich and my husband also prefers that I dont buy clothing with animal, or books about pigs. Dont know if its his own feelings or he took it from somewhere, but its not from the Lubavitch Rebbe.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 5:09 pm
I'm interested to know, can you ask him where he got it from?

cassandra

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 5:14 pm
EstiS wrote:
I'm interested to know, can you ask him where he got it from?

I also thought is was common among chasidim in general (which is why my original line of questioning was not at all targeted at Lubavitch) because when my mother practiced speech therapy in the chasidish community in Monsey (not Lubavitch) she had to edit her books/toys for non-kosher animals.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 5:19 pm
I was told by other Chaseedish ladies that it was just a lubavitch thing.
This came up when I saw a chaseedish child playing with a toy pig and was surprised. What
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions