Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Career change to speech therapy

amother

Post Fri, Jan 25 2008, 9:06 am
I'm in my mid-thirties and looking to change careers. I work in medical billing and would like to become a speech therapist. Can any speech therapists out there please tell me what is involved in getting a degree, and what kind of jobs you have?

gonewiththewind

Post Sat, Jan 26 2008, 8:37 pm
you can PM me if you would like

redhot

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 12:17 am
To become a speech therapist (aka- speech language pathologist) you need to get a masters in speech and language pathology. There are criteria for being accepted into graduate programs. It is highly competitive and you must have a great GPA. You need around 2 years worth of undergrad speech courses. (I have heard that ppl can do all the course work in one year if it isnt being done simultaneously with earning your bachelors degree)
Some grad schools reguire GRE's too. Graduate schools for speech are highly competetive and you must maintain a set grade point average (GPA) to stay in the program. Certain schools like Touro, Lehman, and Kean are easier than others. Some of the harder schools in NY area are Queens, Hunter and Brooklyn College.

The first step if you have a B.A. would be to take the undergrad prerequisites. Those courses arent too hard. Any questions?

anon

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 12:30 am
Raizel Roit (spelling ??) also has degrees in speech therapy, and that would probably be your quickest option. Though it probably would not give you the best quality of education.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 5:14 pm
sthillmom wrote:
You need around 2 years worth of undergrad speech courses.

This would be only if the OP already has a BA. If she does not have a BA, then she would have to do 2 years of speech undergrad coursework in addition to getting a BA and that would take around 4 years. If you already have a BA, all you need is undergrad speech classes and then you can apply to a masters program. Some Masters programs require the GRE's, some dont. Lots of competiton but dont be discouraged. Just try your best.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics