Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
White Whole Wheat Flour

amother

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 4:51 pm
I bought a bag of white whole wheat flour and I'm not sure what to do with it..Any recipes?

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 5:03 pm
You just need to play around with it and figure out what ratio of regular white flour you need to mix with it. I completely use it to replace white flour when I make corn bread. My mil uses it as much as possible when she bakes and tries to use the smallest amount of white flour as she possibly can.

ffbmom

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 5:24 pm
Good old trusty Binah. I'm not sure when I read it, but it was recently that they had recipes with white whole wheat flour. If you don't have it, I'll check.

cassandra

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 5:28 pm
I use it for challah. It's great! You can completely substitute it for white flour.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 5:34 pm
You can use it as a complete replacement and it's still fluffy?

cassandra

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 5:59 pm
Yes. I didn't believe it either until I tried it.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 6:07 pm
That's great to know!

e.l.

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 6:26 pm
use it for baking cookies and brownies...its lighter and the nutrients are the same! just exchange it for the white....

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 7:28 pm
we used to love that ...

MahPitom

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 9:06 pm
Start small, first use it to coat the chicken cutlets, etc. with time you will be more confident. It adds terrific flavor and crunch.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 11:45 pm
Could someone please tell me where to get this? I have read about it in the Binah, but I couldn't find it anywhere. What companies have it? Gold medal? any heimishe companies? Also is it just as nutritious as the regular ww?
Thanks

mumoo

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 11:50 pm
is it only at health food stores? is it yoshon?

Purplehair

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 11:52 pm
Would someone please clue me in on the difference(s), if any, between:
White flour
Whole wheat flour
& White whole wheat flour.
If I am supposed to avoid white flour, does that mean that "white whole wheat" is out as well?

lubmommy

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 12:00 am
King Arthur makes white whole wheat flour that is very good quality. (I was told it is also yoshon.) Nutritionally it is the same as regular whole wheat. I substitute it for all the flour in the classic challa recipe from the Spice and Spirit. (I also use honey instead of sugar.) It comes out delicious! I also use this flour instead of regular white in bread (bread machine), pizza dough and cakes.
For a while my challa and breads were coming out very heavy and I realized it was the regular whole wheat flour from a heimishe brand.

mumoo

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 1:00 am
Purplehair wrote:
Would someone please clue me in on the difference(s), if any, between:
White flour
Whole wheat flour
& White whole wheat flour.
If I am supposed to avoid white flour, does that mean that "white whole wheat" is out as well?

whole wheat includes the bran, germ, and endosperm and nothing is lost in the process of making the flour. This is in contrast to white, processed flours, which contain only the endosperm

I think white whole wheat is the best of both

Purplehair

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 6:59 am
mumoo wrote:
[. This is in contrast to white, processed flours, which contain only the endosperm

I think white whole wheat is the best of both

Thank you mumoo for the breakdown.

But if I am supposed to avoid white flour altogether, does that mean I can't have any of the "white whole wheat" either?

Shif

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 6:04 pm
I would dbl check w/the company, but they claim that all the bran and germ is included in the white whole wheat flour. The diff b/w this and reg WW is the variety of wheat that it comes from. I think white ww comes from a variety of wheat raised in canada and reg ww is here....there is a flr in canada very similar to white ww called rose something....

I use this exclusively and love it! a wonderful sub for reg ww flr.

granolamom

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 10:15 pm
speaking of which, what's the deal with King Arthur flour & hashgacha? I noticed that the white and **some** bags of whole wheat carry the OU and ***some bags*** of whole wheat are half-moonK or whatever you call it. my rav said not to use the moonK.
anyone know why the OU doesn't give hashgacha to all of it?
and what's on the white whole wheat?

daisy

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 10:38 pm
I love the white whole wheat flour by King Arthur. I also use it to bake bread in my bread machine. It makes awesome pancakes and waffles too!
via Star-K email) that flour does not require a hechsher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics