Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Did u tell your boss your due date?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 2:24 pm
I recently told my boss that I am due around purim because he had not mentioned my pregnancy, and I thought it was the right thing to do to let him know my plans. Today he asks me- "Do you have a specific date when you are due?" I was thrown so off guard by him asking me- that I told him. Do you think it was a violation of my privacy?

gigi

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 2:28 pm
no. how does that viloate your privacy?

he probably just wants to have a more exact idea of when to expect that you're leaving.

and being a man he probably doesn't realize that it's more like a due "month".
and that most women don't birth on their due date Very Happy .

Marion

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 4:39 pm
I gave an estimate, seeing as I was due Oct. 31 anyway, I just said the end of October.

YummyMommy

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 1:52 am
amother wrote:
I recently told my boss that I am due around purim because he had not mentioned my pregnancy, and I thought it was the right thing to do to let him know my plans. Today he asks me- "Do you have a specific date when you are due?" I was thrown so off guard by him asking me- that I told him. Do you think it was a violation of my privacy?

Yes, I do, I'm a very private person, but I can't not answer a direct question. I don't think I would have been able to "not say", but I would have been upset that I did.

mimivan

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 2:17 am
Since babies rarely arrive exactly on the due date, I don't quite understand why it would be a violation of privacy..

catonmylap

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 5:33 am
I told everyone Purim last year. My ultrasound due date was Purim, and ds arrived on Purim. If your due date is in fact the week of Purim, that should be good enough--though I don't see what the big deal is to give someone the exact date.

I got asked when do you think you will start your maternity leave? (Very Legitimate question because you can start before).

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 1:21 pm
Here you need to give him the dates you want for maternity leave, as soon as you know you're preg...

gold21

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 1:30 pm
I would give my due date to my boss.

Yakira

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 2:43 pm
I told the exact date but they were prepared in case I was early...
I think next time I'll tell everyone two weeks later so I don't get the 'You're still around!?!?!' thing going on as much.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 3:11 pm
I don't think it is a matter of privacy I just thinnk it is not nice to ask that!

Yakira

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think it is a matter of privacy I just thinnk it is not nice to ask that!

He's her boss and probably needs to think in terms of replacing her. What is not nice about wanting to have a good idea of when that time will come?

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 2:41 pm
Of course your boss needs to know about when you are due to give birth. He's running a business/office and has to know how to plan. This is not a violation of privacy. Lehefech. It's not mentchlich not to tell him. Imho there is nothing inappropriate about him asking.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 6:02 pm
I'm so glad this thread came up...
Does anyone know when, according to the law in M. Israel, an employee MUST tell an employer she is pregnant? Is waiting until the 5th months sufficient?

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 2:07 am
amother wrote:
I'm so glad this thread came up...
Does anyone know when, according to the law in M. Israel, an employee MUST tell an employer she is pregnant? Is waiting until the 5th months sufficient?

You have to tell when you reach your fifth month.

BTW, about the original question, we don't tell ANYONE my due date (yes, including parents), but I told my boss every time. AFAIK, you have to here in Israel. Every time they asked for it in writing.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 2:51 am
thanks so much, Shalhevet!

MorahRachel

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 9:04 pm
I have a little twist on this question.
the last 2 times I was induced and I obviously knew about it before hand. Do you think I am obligated to tell my boss when/if I find out again this time?
Meaning, if the dr says I need to be induced on a certain day, am I obligated to give my boss a heads up or can I wait until the baby is actually born before I call?
Just thinking about it in advance...

ange

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 12:26 pm
To the OP, I think it's a very legit Q for him to know when you are due. He needs to know when to hire a replacement. You can just say the week of ___. After all, a due date is not exact.

I have an interesting twist on this - my boss is so laid back that I have to tell her I am due a week or two before I really am because otherwise she brings a replacement for me to train, like, the day I am due (and I am usually a few days early)! Of course, it's her problem if she didn't make arrangements early enough...except that I have to deal with the mess when I come back so it's in my best interest to have someone trained before I leave. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics