Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Scheduling babies

lst

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:29 am
How important is it to have babies on a schedule? Is it so bad to nurse on demand (within reason) and let dd sleep when shes tired. She wakes up at different times everyday, but she always takes at a 2 hour nap in the morning and a 2 hour nap in the afternoon-just different times everyday, depending on when she wakes up in the morning. Is that so bad? She doesnt seem to be unhappy or cranky (unless she for some reason missed her nap). I've been reading different threads about scheduling babies and how people say its so important, how important is it really?

smiley:)

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:37 am
I dont think its so important. You and she both seem ok with whatever schedule you DO have, and you are the 2 main ones who matter, no? And if she has 2 hrs whenever in the morning, and 2 hrs whenever in the afternoon, that is some type of schedule. Who cares what the books say, if it works for you?

mimivan

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:43 am
lst wrote:
How important is it to have babies on a schedule? Is it so bad to nurse on demand (within reason) and let dd sleep when shes tired. She wakes up at different times everyday, but she always takes at a 2 hour nap in the morning and a 2 hour nap in the afternoon-just different times everyday, depending on when she wakes up in the morning. Is that so bad? She doesnt seem to be unhappy or cranky (unless she for some reason missed her nap). I've been reading different threads about scheduling babies and how people say its so important, how important is it really?

scheduling babies is more often for the parent's benefit...
It can be for the benefit of both if the baby is older (I'd say around one-ish)

I've spoken with labor coaches and lactation consultants and la leche and the consensus is babies should nurse on demand...I feel that a good rule of thumb that, at least for the first year, it is the baby's schedule and the mommy's schedule can wait.

this may be a strain on some mothers, but it is what I have learned from experts. After a baby passes the newborn phase, then sleeping and feeding patterns can be coaxed (but better if not forced) by parents.

momof2and2

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 9:08 pm
Well what is considered newborn?
I am a FIRM believer in schedules. Not for my convenience but for my children's health and devolopment.
I am one of those AVID eat/sleep schedule people and PROUD OF IT!! Very Happy

ganizzy

Post Fri, Feb 08 2008, 12:59 am
my kids get on schedule but not until; theyre a few months old. also it sounds like you have a schedule but not a strict one. with my first she used to wake up different times but her nap would be about 2 and half hours after she woke up. I personally like schedules bec then u know when ur babies tired and when theyre hungry. the only problem is that scheduled babies do not do well when theyre off schedule like by simchas and travelling. also my other problem is that since I usually put my kids to sleep in their crib I cant just have them sleep in the car seat or stroller, so im stuck at home during their naptime.

queen

Post Sat, Feb 09 2008, 10:37 pm
My babysitter is very into having kids on a schedule. This way it helps you know when they are hungry or tired. They are on a schedule so they get used to eating at the same time each day and get hungry then. They sleep around the same time---- so now when they cry you know if they are hungry or tired based on what time of day it is.

I don't usually put my kids on a schedule though until they are around 5 months old.

zigi

Post Sat, Feb 09 2008, 11:01 pm
your baby sounds like shes on a schedule don't change anything!
scheduiing helps when the baby is overtired and is very kvetchy my ds needs a schedule he goes to pieces if he doesn't have his nap. other babies could just go with the flow, it helps having a schedule you know when he ate wether he needs to eat or be burped or needs a nap. basically 2 hours after they woke up nap then 2 more hours after the nap another nap then bedtime, and eating every 3-4 hours depending on the age,

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 10 2008, 1:26 am
There's a difference between a schedule and a routine. A schedule is run by the clock, a routine sees you doing the same things in the same order but not necessarily at precisely the same time every day. I'm a big believer in routines (and most kids will set them for themselves), but not big on the clock unless it's totally necessary.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 11 2008, 11:59 am
Marion wrote:
There's a difference between a schedule and a routine. A schedule is run by the clock, a routine sees you doing the same things in the same order but not necessarily at precisely the same time every day. I'm a big believer in routines (and most kids will set them for themselves), but not big on the clock unless it's totally necessary.

Smile

And just understand that most newborns cannot go on a schedule yet -- they are still disorganized and getting adjusted to the world for them to process a true schedule, and you may miss important growth spurts because of strict scheduling.
If someone wants to opt for a schedule, instead of a routine (which doesn't contradict the possibility of having a set bedtime, BTW), wait a few months before attempting, otherwise, you probably will end up feeling like you've failed somewhere in motherhood. Sad I have seen so many mommies like this, and the books never say that it's normal and not their fault; in fact Ezzo claims it is the mother doing something wrong if the baby doesn't fit into her schedule!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics