Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Sweet potato kugel

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 9:10 am
Anyone have a good recipe?

TIA.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 11:41 am
the purple cookbook has a fine one. freezes well, too.

greeneyes

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 7:59 am
GR, you actually inspired me to make something a teeny bit healthier than sweet potato pie Smile , so here are 2 recipes I am considering. The 2nd one is the one I really want to make, but I have to see if I can find unsweetened coconut in the supermarket. (Both recipes are from the cookbook Simple Pleasures.)

Easy Sweet Potato Pie
3 sweet potatoes, boiled & mashed
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil or applesauce
1 egg
vanilla extract, to taste
cinnamon, to taste

Mix everything together & bake at 375 for 1 hour.

Sweet Potato-Coconut Pudding
1 (40 oz.) can sweet potatoes, drained
2 egg whites
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. soy milk
2 T. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
cinnamon, to taste
1/4 c. unsweetened shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350.

Mash potatoes in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, except coconut. Mix well. Pour mixture into greased baking dish & sprinkle coconut over the top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until filling has set.

gryp

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 4:13 pm
LOL, greeneyes, and I felt bad for hijacking your thread.

We don't care for the store-bought pie crusts, they just don't taste that good. And I don't want to buy the graham cracker crusts anymore because I try to avoid trans-fats as much as possible. Hence my question.

I think it should work if I just use my regular recipe and bake it without the crust. I'll try that, but not this Shabbos. In that recipe I cut out all the sugar, and it's just fine without it.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 5:51 pm
You can use many things in place of the crust. You can even crunch up cookies . I've used butter cookies or cinnamon cookies for crusts.

mamacita

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 1:43 am
I never use crusts for mine and they come out fine. Last time I did try adding a bit of flour and it firmed so I could finally slice it instead of scooping.

tziviakayla

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 2:33 am
Try the sweet potato pie from Kosher By Design kids. It is easy to make and delicious! I use a store bought graham cracker crust (can't remember if this was my own idea or what it actually calls for!) I also found mini-graham cracker crusts and sometimes I use them instead (that was my own idea!) Each recipe yields about a dozen mini-pies. They are really cute and are nice when you have guests, no one has to worry about cutting a pie!

greeneyes

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 11:15 am
GR, what's your recipe & how did you manage to cut out all the sugar? I'd love to try a recipe without sugar

Purplehair

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 2:36 pm
greeneyes wrote:

Sweet Potato-Coconut Pudding
1 (40 oz.) can sweet potatoes, drained
2 egg whites
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. soy milk
2 T. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
cinnamon, to taste
1/4 c. unsweetened shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350.

Mash potatoes in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, except coconut. Mix well. Pour mixture into greased baking dish & sprinkle coconut over the top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until filling has set.

I've been looking and looking for this post, and I'm so glad I finally found it!!!
This recipe sounded so delicious that I just had to try it. My daughter made it for Shabbos a bunch of weeks ago, and it was soo fabulous that she made two for the following week!
Thank you so much for posting it. Very Happy
By the way, where can I get the "Simple Pleasures" cookbook that you got the recipe from?
(Edited to add that she made the pie in a graham cracker crust..very very delicious!)

greeneyes

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 11:17 am
I'm so glad you liked it purplehair! I ended up making it, & we liked it too. 8)

Simple Pleasures is put out by an organization in Baltimore, if I remember correctly. I don't know where you're located, but I bought it in the seforim store on Avenue M & East 19th or so, here in Brooklyn. It's a nice cookbook, & I use it all the time.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 12:08 pm
is that pudding a side dish or a dessert?

greeneyes

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 12:33 pm
I served it as a side dish. (It's sweet though!)

Purplehair

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 5:03 pm
I served it as a side dish as well. Its sweet, but I didn't find it sickeningly so. Its also very easy to make. Well, I've never actually made it myself, but I'm basing my opinion on the fact that my 11 year old daughter made the entire thing herself (short of the baking part) by just following the recipe.

Oh, and thanks for giving me the heads up on the cookbook's whereabouts. Are you talking about Judaica Place? (Yup, I'm another Brooklynite Very Happy )

greeneyes

Post Mon, Feb 11 2008, 3:17 pm
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, purplehair. Yup, I believe I got the cookbook at Judaica Place.

Purplehair

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 4:06 am
greeneyes wrote:
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, purplehair. Yup, I believe I got the cookbook at Judaica Place.

That's ok, thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes