Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Plastic bottles and containers

ffbmom

Post Sat, Feb 09 2008, 9:19 pm
I've been hearing a lot lately about plastic leaching out chemicals, esp. water bottles, baby bottles and containers. Anyone know where you can get accurate information on this topic?

anuta

Post Sat, Feb 09 2008, 9:51 pm
there is lots of information out there. Plastic leak BPA (bisphenol A), just google it.... my husband sent me lots of articles...

In our house we use glass baby bottles (evenflo classic nurser), glass containers for leftovers (pyrex), metal sippy cups and drinking bottles (klean kanteen)

We also use metal baby spoons (gifts, silver ones, and silver ones from my childhood), and corelle bowls instead of melamine baby dishes. Corelle has a pattern called "classic white" or something like that, that you can buy dishes separately, and there are many bowl sizes, from tiny ones good for a baby, to cereal ones, etc. They are made of special glass, VERY light, thin and virtually unbreakable.

MahPitom

Post Sat, Feb 09 2008, 10:10 pm
Beware of glasses made of crystal. Crystal contains lead and poses a health risk form pregnant women and children. Regarding plastic, it’s not safe for any food that is sitting in it a while such as bottled water (long shelf life) or food in the microwave or refrigerated for a day or so. It’s the length of time that absorbs the chemicals.

Mir000

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 12:55 pm
http://www.news10.net/news/pdf.....s.pdf

That's the orginal study published recently

cdawnr

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 1:19 pm
I didn't click the link, but the particular issue, from what Iknow, is the hard plastic ones (like Avent). However, there are a lot of factore, like amount of time in the bottle, heat levels, etc.

It is not a simple issue as to whether this is a real danger or the latest danger craze.
(yes, now I will be bashed on that last line...)

Marion

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 1:42 pm
Usually, if you use a product according to the manufacturers' instructions, you're good to go. I don't know of any baby bottle manufacturer who says it's okay to heat your baby's formula or EBM in the bottle in the microwave. I also don't know of any parent who would give their baby a bottle that had been heated to over 80 degrees (celcius). Even most formula instructions say to use COOLED pre-boiled water and then heat by placing in a mug of hot water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics