Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Help, a [gentile] colleague wants to visit on Purim!
Previous  1  2

drumjj

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 3:21 am
good point about the bringing things mama

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 7:24 am
Dress up in a burka, and tell the girlfriend she has to wear one too! LOL

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 10:48 am
mimivan wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
But it's not about what the non Jews think. Purim is aobut the mitzvos of the day.

But they said they are coming...the invitation wasn't initiated by OP...

Doesn't matter what other peole say or do. YOU don't have to answer the phone/door, etc.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 11:24 am
chocolate moose wrote:
mimivan wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
But it's not about what the non Jews think. Purim is aobut the mitzvos of the day.

But they said they are coming...the invitation wasn't initiated by OP...

Doesn't matter what other peole say or do. YOU don't have to answer the phone/door, etc.
Yes, you should turn out all the lights, and all sit in the dark very quietly. Eventually, after knocking and knocking, they'll go away. Happy Purim!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 11:32 am
For the kiddush, IIRC the main thing is whether your dh is LOOKING at something that should be covered. So, he should be able to simply close his eyes during the kiddush itself (he'll just look like he's deep in concentration/meditation about the prayer), and that would be that.

Also, explain that you will have certain things going on, so they will understand if you need to rush around at all.

drumjj

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 11:40 am
chocolate imagine what a chillul hashem that would make to just ignore the door

cassandra

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 11:57 am
amother wrote:
For the kiddush, IIRC the main thing is whether your dh is LOOKING at something that should be covered. So, he should be able to simply close his eyes during the kiddush itself (he'll just look like he's deep in concentration/meditation about the prayer), and that would be that.

If you maintain this position, you would actually need to turn your head away from the ervah, it wouldn't be enough just to close your eyes.

And again, do people make kiddush on Purim?????

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 12:11 pm
drumjj wrote:
chocolate imagine what a chillul hashem that would make to just ignore the door

The Door and Phone are for MY convenience.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 12:12 pm
Hey Moosie, I've been standing outside for twenty minutes with this wonderful cake I baked for you! Let me in!

j/k, but don't you think it would be rude for her to ignore this guy and his girlfriend, knocking at the door? It's not like she doesn't know that they're planning on coming.

MahPitom

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 3:58 pm
drumjj wrote:
its a great opportunity to make a kiddush hashem. why are u scared of having non jewish ppl at ur table. ive had non jewish ppl at my shabbos table before and they usually act with respect to whatever u do and find the whole process really interesting

Gee thanks, that's all I wanted to know... if others tried before.

MahPitom

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 3:59 pm
To clarify: they want to spend Purim day ‘gazing’ on the streets, and the Shabios morning meal with us.

mimivan

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 4:07 pm
Uh-oh...sounds like they want to see the Jews on Parade Rolling Eyes Oh well...

reminds me of the time I lived in Park Slope. I was just starting to become frum, but didn't look overtly religious...

A French tourist stopped me and said, "Excuse me. Where are the Jews?"

"The Jews?"

"Yes, the Jews."

"Umm...well... alot of the people in this neighborhood are Jewish..."

No! He said motioning to an imaginary beard and making curly little motions in the air to form invisible peyos..then he began shuckling "The Jews! the Jews!"

"Oh," I said...Then I pointed the opposite direction from Crown Heights towards downtown Brooklyn, "That Way!"
Very Happy

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 4:45 pm
oh so theyre just comingn for shabbos lunch? nisht geferlich. I thought they want to come for purim.

mamacita

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 2:32 am
Any time I've been at a Shabbos table with nonJews they've washed, bentched, and asked questions more easily than the nonfrum jews, hehe.

drumjj

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 2:36 am
ur welcome mapitom anytime. and for your information I have non jews at my table for purposes that u would never understand obviously if u have to post this post.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics