Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Shabbos Make up solution - I want cosmetic tattoos badly...
1  2  3  4  Next

waterbottle

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 8:29 pm
Okay what should I do. I struggle every shabbos not being able to put on make up. A few times I was too embarrassed to go to shul so I put makeup on anyway. I have blonde eyelashes and I look terrible without mascara and eye-makeup on. Plus I want to look pretty for my DH.

I think it would be so nice to have eyeliner and lipliner tattooed on. I've read some info online and halachically it doesn't look promising, I haven't asked my rav about it yet...

I heard some women have heters to wear make-up on shabbos? Anyone have info on this?

I've looked into eye-lash tinting but I'm afraid to do it because there are FDA warnings against it because the dyes can cause blindness.

Anyone have good recommendations for eyeliner, mascara and lip liner/color that will last through shabbos? I'm willing to pay top dollar if need be.

My old hair dresser had cosmetic tattoos and she always looked so nice!

I'm seriously considering heter-shopping unless someone can recommend me some soluations!!

Maya

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 8:40 pm
If it's just the eye makeup that your'e concerned about, I think you might be fine with simple, but lasting eye makeup. I even have my lipstick stay on with a sealer.

I would recommend getting a good waterproof, long-lasting eyeliner.

If you wear eyeshadow base under your shadow, and then a dark color like grey or purple, it should last you through the next day.

Get a waterproof mascara, or the Kiss Me brand, and that should also last.

Good luck. These should work even if want to sleep comfortably, but of course, sleeping on your back will only help it.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 8:43 pm
I get my lashes dyed, it's a veggie dye and it's harmless. As far as makeup, ask your rov; there IS Shabbos makeup.

I have heard tht the makeup tatoos don't look good after a while.

Tefila

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 8:44 pm
Quote:
I think it would be so nice to have eyeliner and lipliner tattooed on.

Since it works like a tatoo ink injected via a needle under the skin I doubt halachically it would be fine Confused

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 8:45 pm
(Amother to protect my identity, in case anyone else knows the OP in real life.)

1. You are one of the best looking women in shul on Shabbos, quit complaining.

2. I use "long last" makeup (specifically, lipstick and on rare occassion eyeliner) that I can put on Fri. night and confidently know will still look good Shabbos day. Try experimenting with the "long last" 16-hour eyeliners. I've never had a smudging problem, even when wearing contact lenses.

3. Accoding to my husbands, men don't notice the difference makeup makes. They may notice that makeup makes us take longer in the bathroom, but that's it.

4. I have seen pics of people who had their makeup tattooed on, and the makeup came out AWFUL and they are r"l stuck like that for the rest of their lives.

5. Even if the tattooed makeup does come out well, there is no guarantee that you will like how it looks years down the road. Your colors may change, your color preferences may change, and if your skin shifts due to wrinkling (which is a guarantee later in life), your makeup is going to shift and look smudged too, unless you are prepared to pay up for Botox. Do you really want to pay money to have botulism injected into your body, all for the sake of saving your lipstick job?

6. I have NEVER heard of a heter to wear makeup on Shabbos, as applying most weekday makeups on Shabbos involves being oiver on several issurim -- namely, smearing, coloring, and making paint (when the powdered colors are mixed with the oils on your face). There are certain ways that loose skin-colored powder can be applied, FYI.

7. The only makeup that I've ever heard of people permissibly applying on Shabbos (other than the aforementioned loose powders) are makeups that are specifically designed for application on Shabbos. I've seen some women on Imamother post that they sell these cosmetics, and am quite confident that they will post on this thread once they see the title. Smile

8. On Fri. afternoon, I put on my regular weekday lipliner and Revlon ColorStay lipstick. I don't remember what brand of eyeliner I use, I can try to check later.

9. Re: heter shopping, check your PM.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 8:47 pm
Same Amother as above -- I just want to note that I already told OP that tattooing is assur. I just wanted to offer some pratical arguments against tattooing, as well.

SingALong

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 9:25 pm
I thought that tattooing was a problem for the mikveh? isnt it a chatzitzah? im not sure, just what I heard.

also, I find that liquid eyeliner lasts very well, especially if you put it on, wait for it to dry, then add another coat on top.

also, getting a brown/black or any very dark eye shadow with a thin flat brush, dip brush in a little water, then dip into shadow and make the line on your eye. I also apply 2 or 3 coats of this and it can last me 3 days yom tov sometimes.

as far as mascara, getting waterproof long lasting works well.
anothere thing I do sometimes is to get clear mascara, use it as a top coat on top of black mascara. it seems to seal it well.
sometimes its not the brand or type of makeup you use but the way you apply it. experiment different things every week till you find a technique that lasts for you!!!

I

waterbottle

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 9:31 pm
Thank you so much! The clear mascara coat seems like a good idea.
I'm thinking of getting liquid eyeliner, from what I remember it only comes off with make-up remover. Do you think buying Estee Lauder, MAC or Nars is a waste of money? I personally like buying Estee Lauder/MAC/ because percentage of their profits are donated to Jewish causes and Israel.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 9:34 pm
From what I've read on other threads, tattoos are not a chatziza. But, I would be concerned with vegetable dyes. It depends on how permanent the dye is. For example, regular hair dye is not a chatzitza, but non-permanent dye is (like the kind that lasts a week)

newmom

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 9:37 pm
I buy the MAC long lasting lipstick and it stays on all shabbos. I forgot the exact type, but it's the one with two sides to the tube- one for color and the other to coat.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 10:18 pm
You don't have to use long lasting makeup.

There is something called Shabbat Makeup. It is approved by Rabbi Blumenkrantz, zt'l. This is makeup that you are allowed to use on Shabbos. it's made in a different way that it's not considered coloring when you put it on on Shabbos. Thats why Rabbi Blumenkrantz approves it. Some rabbis don't approve it, but Rabbi Blumenkrantz was a very great man.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 5:19 am
ok - here's a few product recommendations from me:

lips: REVLON colorstay overtime (I love it)
MAX FACTOR lipfinity

eyes: REVLON colorstay eyeliner pencil
L'OREAL HIP color truth cream eyeliner
MAC paints
Any shadow with strong pigment.
BENEFIT liner sealer (I think it's called "she-laq")
MAYBELLINE waterproof mascara (any except the pink bottle) or
KISS ME mascara

First apply MAC paints all over the eyelid - you can use a nude color as a base or a colored one as the shadow color. Then use any decent shadow over it as a second layer. Line with either the L'Oreal cream eyeliner which comes in a little pot with a brush and is amazing OR use the Revlon colorstay pencil and then use a dark shadow with a wet brush and go over it and then go over again with the shadow and a dry brush. To last even longer you can then also use the Benefit sealer over the liner.
Finish with the waterproof mascara or Kiss Me mascara which works very differently than regular mascara and is long lasting but a pain to build up length and thickness and a nuisance to remove.

Face: Try the Revlon colorstay foundation - there's also a light version I think which is less heavy on the skin - it's very long lasting.

Don't even think about tatoos - yuck!

Shabbos makeup is okay but has to be applied on clean skin and colors can't be blended at all, so you can't just add it to the remnants of the pre-shabbos makeup left on your face.

Good luck, but remember - only you are really noticing how "bad" you look. It definitely is not important enough to break any halachos.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 5:54 am
Shabbes make up, and some make up like non colouring powder (if I remember well) is ok on shabbes. I don't put on anything personally, but I would if I felt the need. I would double check though with my rav to know which product is ok (because I doubt I can find shabbes make up easily here).

miracle

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 7:53 am
I have never heard of an Heter for putting make up on shabat

Quote:
I heard some women have heters to wear make-up on shabbos? Anyone have info on this?

Does anyone have such an heter? if so what is the explanation for it?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 8:52 am
Just use waterproof mascara. I use Covergirl waterproof mascara and it lasts all shabbos.

People wear too much makeup as it is. It's funny seeing people that put such heavy makeup on in order to make it last throughout shabbos. They'd probably look a lot better without any makeup. They try so hard and don't realize how silly they look.

mamacita

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 10:08 am
My marykay eye liner and gel-shadows last all of shabbos (3-dayers too).

of course your skin composition makes a difference. My mom's skin is such that her eye makeup rarely lasts all day, let alone over night. Putting powder or foundation under your eye makeup helps protect from the oils in your skin (up to a certain point).

Prob best to buy several kinds and try, like another poster said. I think Walgreens has a return policy for makeup if you aren't satisfied, if you have those near you.

ss321

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 10:20 am
ok, here are some recommendations. im also very self conscious, even if im not going to shul!

lipstick - either the long lasting mac, or long lasting chanel. They come in tubes that have clear lipgloss on one end, and the color on the other. they really really do stay on. I layer it (I like to mix my colors!), but dont go overboard w/ the layering, or it will cause it to gunk up and it will peel faster! it rarely comes off before shabbos is over, I have to use makeup remover to get it off.

foundation - IDK if everyone would say its mutar, but my rabbi did. Its called airflash by dior, and its an aersol spray can. He said I cant rub it in though, because thats smearing, which isnt allowed, so if I want to cover up a blotchy face, ill spray it very lightly and kindof let it "melt." but thats something you need to ask about doing. I only use it on shabbos, because its like 60 or $70 per bottle.

eye liner - dior makes this amazing waterproof liquid mascara. it comes in this little cone shaped container. I put it on top and a bit on bottom too, it always stays on. I also then use a waterproof pencil liner by mac, to go over that with, make it look softer. that DOES run a little bit, but I dont mind that smoky look shabbos day (after taking out my lenses and putting them back in, thats what happens)

eye shadow-take any brand, and mix with a bit of water or foundation when applying (I like water better b/c it doesnt have oil so I find it stays longer), and apply it like that. then it dries onto your eyelids and I find stays longer

mascara - lorac (they sell it at sephora, I havent yet found a dept store that carries it) makes the most amazing waterproof mascara. seriously, it will stay on for THREE DAYS if I dont take it off with BOTH water AND makeup remover! highly recommended! its not the best for "thickening" "lengthening" "volumizing," or any of those purported "effects," but if your problem is blond eyelashes, this will dramatize them and make them really show! it comes in brown and black.

well those are all the products I can think of right now. good luck!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 10:22 am
You can't use just any powder makeup on Shabbos, I'm pretty sure it has to be just powder without any oil. and you'r not allowed to use your fingers at all becasue of natural oils on your hands, IIRC.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 12:29 pm
am I the only one who thinks it's a VERY BAD IDEA to sleep with eye makeup on?

Don't any of you ever get eye infections or stys or pink eye or anything?

I happily wear mascara, shadows, liner, etc during the week but yeah-- Shabbos I look nude---- so what. I think it's nice for my face to get a break. And I SELL cosmetics for a living!

Those long lasting lipsticks will eat away at your lip's natural balance over time.... that CAN'T feel good!

waterbottle

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 5:05 pm
Thank you for all the make-up suggestions. Now I just need to go out and buy the stuff. Thanks everyone!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions